Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,513   Online: 862

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

EOS 3 vs Bulk-loaded film

So this is the second time this has happened, shooting bulk-load on my EOS 3, and i think I know why.

First time, I was shooting a roll (I think Rollei Retro 100) which I thought had about 36 exposures on (give or take). After 12 or so shots, the camera stops and rewinds. it rewinds with the leader out, so I just reloaded it, set it to 1/8000s with the lenscap on and shot back to the 12th shot, and again it rewinds. I thought at the time that it may have been a 12-shot roll (that i do make sometimes) that I just didn't mark properly as such.
    When I developed it, I saw that yes, there were 12 shots taken, and 24 blanks. So then my thinking shifted towards it just being too tightly wound and the camera thought it had hit the end of the roll.

It just happened again on a roll I developed last weekend. This time a bulk-loaded Tri-X that i didn't roll (bought them from a guy who rolled his own). Same thing, 12 shots and it rewound itself. Same thing, I tried reloading and it got to 12 and rewound. I thought that maybe it was the 'end roll' of the guy from whom I bought it, so just developed it. Same thing, 12 shots and 24 blanks.
    Looking at this developed roll hanging up, the last frame shot was number 37 on the edge markings.

I know that the EOS 3 has an infrared frame counter. I know the 1V doesn't (it has mechanical to protect IR film), but the 5 might have the same infrared counter.

So what I'm thinking is that the camera is sensing the end of the roll with a pre-marked spot on the film. Confusingly, it doesn't happen with all bulk-loads, I've shot a whole lot more through the 3 than these two. Could it be that only when an 'end of roll' marker coincides with the 12th, 24th, or 36th frame on the camera-counter, that it presumes that the end of the roll has been reached and rewinds?
    Has this happened to anyone else with an EOS 3 (maybe 5 or others)?
    Is there any fix for this that anyone knows of?
    Is there a custom function / firmware hack (I can't find one)?
    Blocking the frame counter in the camera is not an option (if it even works at all I still wouldn't, I often use midroll-rewind/reload to swap to other films).
    Are there any other options besides "keep taking chances" or "don't use bulk-load"?
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an EOS-3. I think two things can signal end of roll. 1) When using DX coded film and reaching the encoded frame count or 2) film tension. Are you loading into DX coded cans? Maybe your rolls are binding, though seems unlikely across multiple rolls. I searched through my manual and see nothing that applies to your problem. when you processed your film, did the film edge have DX code marks ( none of the bulk film I have used has these, only factory rolled film )? I don't know that the IR sensor is used to read film marks. I think it might just be used to advance the film.

Joel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a good thing to check, the DX coding. I know on the ones I've rolled that the DX code is covered (mostly) by a sticker (that I put on to identify what was in it). I'll see when I get home (if the missus hasn't chucked out the recycling) what canister it was in if the DX has any clues...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have always used unDX coded rolls of bulk film (manual fs option) with the only problem was that it only exposes 36 frames. Some of my rolls were a touch bigger than 36 but that is the only problem. Make sure the film areas are clean and unblemished, battery connections good etc (you know the drill). I have found the EOS 3 to be better in the field than the EOS 1 N ever was.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 02-03-2014 at 11:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    [...] I have found the EOS 3 to be better in the field than the EOS 1 N ever was.

That's interesting. And curious. I've used the same EOS 1N without a problem since 1994. The EOS 3 lasted 1 month...
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    That's interesting. And curious. I've used the same EOS 1N without a problem since 1994. The EOS 3 lasted 1 month...
    This is my 3rd EOS 1 N that I have purchased. The second 1N I had it was sitting on my desk and tumbled off landing on the lens hood. Lens hood dented and replaced. Lens was fine been using on my EOS 3. Camera is completely dead. My EOS 3 I have had for many years and it has been through many tough experiences with out a single problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I should probably call this one Mystery Solved for now.
    Got home and found the roll that rewound after 12 frames, and written on the side was 400 UC 12, obviously it was wound into an old roll of 12-exposure ultracolour.
    The mystery now is why all my other bulk-load Tri-X that I bought from this guy *didn't* rewind after 12 or 24 shots, maybe they just happened to all be in 36-shot canisters.

At least from now on I know that I'm just going to have to check each one and sticker over the DX if I have to...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Dr Croubie,

Please post whenever you have verified your solution. I have an Elan 7ne that will occasionally rewind at different points in the roll (DX coding covered). No issues with my Nikon F-100. My assumption has been that my rolling has not always been as properly aligned as it should be as I have noticed that occasionally the pull feel on manual advance cameras is inconsistent.

TIA,

Neal Wydra

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin