Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,146   Online: 927

Shooter
    Large Format

Canon EOS 630 - drive motor sound. What's normal?

I was curious how one would describe the sound of a normal EOS 630 motor when it is taking up film following each shot. I had this camera years ago and can't recall. The camera I am using now sounds like a "very loud stepper motor" as it move the film to the next frame. Quite noticeable. Although at the end of the roll, rewinding is fairly quite. Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I hear a slight whir just after the mirror/shutter chunk, but it isnt louder than the shutter. My STM lens is louder than the wind noise if that helps.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by trythis View Post
    I hear a slight whir just after the mirror/shutter chunk, but it isnt louder than the shutter. My STM lens is louder than the wind noise if that helps.
    Thanks mucho. Is that when the camera is loaded with film? The motor on mine doesn't appear to engage if film isn't loaded. In that scenario, it's very quiet. Just the shutter/mirror.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine is quiet but distinctly audible.

Shooter
    35mm
    With film
    Quote Originally Posted by DannL. View Post
    Thanks mucho. Is that when the camera is loaded with film? The motor on mine doesn't appear to engage if film isn't loaded. In that scenario, it's very quiet. Just the shutter/mirror.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks everyone for the input. If the camera explodes or catches fire, I'll post an update . . . with pictures. The last two 650's and the previous 630 that I had were all fine cameras. But, that was some time ago. And since then a number of the more modern SLR's I've used were very quiet. One camera I considered quiet, it would get to the end of the roll and rewind without my knowledge it had done so. That was somewhat aggravating. But, I became accustomed to the near silent and smooth operation. Does anyone know off-hand if the 620/650/630 etc, use a stepper or a normal DC motor?
    Last edited by DannL.; 02-04-2014 at 09:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin