Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,476   Posts: 1,542,635   Online: 904

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember years ago reading about him in Darkroom magazine. He printed his own photos. If I remember correctly, he uses a Focomat. If he's gone digital, I wonder what kind of prints he's offering now?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Just curious did his lack of endorsement make HCB a better photographer.

No, but at least he didn't sell out to advertising.

Bresson always "impressed" me as sort of proof of the monkeys and typewriters theorem. If you walk about enough with a Leica around your neck you will eventually take some interesting photographs.
    So why don't you try it and show us your interesting pictures?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I don't subscribe to this signature model stuff, it's just a marketing ploy, I don't care even if Jesus Christ has got one, or uses one.
    Actually Jesus uses a Hasselblad and, I am reliably informed, rides a Harley.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
    Actually Jesus uses a Hasselblad and, I am reliably informed, rides a Harley.
    A Softail?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    A signature model would be bought as an investment rather than for day to day use.
    This is what people tell themselves to rationalise their purchasing expensive equipment, in reality if I wanted to ensure a reasonable return on investing my hard earned cash, I wouldn't invest it in any camera especially a digital one because the technology is moving ahead so fast in ten years time or less it will be obsolete, and a joke.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If regular Leicas are dentist's cameras, those things must be orthodontist's cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a "Canon" RF from around 1955. It takes black & white, color negative, and slide film. And no batteries required . . . which I still think is perty slick. I have no idea who Ralph is, but I'll sign the bottom plate of this camera "Elvis" with a fine-point sharpie. $1000.00 USD w/free shipping world wide.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I think it is to his credit that HCB never endorsed Leica cameras in Leica advertising. I would be very surprised if they never asked him.
    I'm looking at it right now--double spread in issue No. 349, pp. 24-25, of the French PHOTO. Chrome M6, engraving of handwritten signature "Henri Cartier-Bresson" on the top plate, platinum finish, his d.o.b. "22-8-1908" engraved on the hot shoe, Elmar 50/2.8, Louis Vuitton box, the whole shebang...

Shooter
    35mm
    HCB did NOT do his own printing, but had a guy in a Paris lab do it for him for a very long time. He did not really care about print quality, I've read and the prints are supposed to be lackluster.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

That's my experience

Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    HCB did NOT do his own printing, but had a guy in a Paris lab do it for him for a very long time. He did not really care about print quality, I've read and the prints are supposed to be lackluster.

I saw his show at SF MOMA a couple of years ago and the prints were not bad, but not stunning either. Some were too big for my taste. Grainy not in a good way. He's a masterful photographer though.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin