Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,449   Online: 985

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vilk View Post
    I'm looking at it right now--double spread in issue No. 349, pp. 24-25, of the French PHOTO. Chrome M6, engraving of handwritten signature "Henri Cartier-Bresson" on the top plate, platinum finish, his d.o.b. "22-8-1908" engraved on the hot shoe, Elmar 50/2.8, Louis Vuitton box, the whole shebang...
    I guess I missed that.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...1998/index.htm

In his later years he was using his # 1.000.000 M6 Leica. (info from On the other side of the Camera by Arnold Crane).

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    So why don't you try it and show us your interesting pictures?
    Sadly, these days if there are any still photographers with HCB's eye and quick 'decisive moment' recognition they are drowned in a sea of images. The great photo mags are all long gone, just about all images are for instant consumption on social media, and just a quickly they receed into the past, suplanted by billions more. Sure, gallery exhibitions exist, but for who, the select few who can go. Joe citizen cannot plunk down 25 cents (or the inflation adjusted equivalent) at a newstand and view the photographs at his leasure.

Looking at a photo illustrated story just for pleasure of viewing the pictures, you know, like Eugene Smith's "Country Doctor"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HCB had lead a brilliant life. Getting off the topic a bit but here's an interview on Charlie Rose.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZSZLzGNPBQ
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    Sadly, these days if there are any still photographers with HCB's eye and quick 'decisive moment' recognition they are drowned in a sea of images. The great photo mags are all long gone, just about all images are for instant consumption on social media, and just a quickly they receed into the past, suplanted by billions more. Sure, gallery exhibitions exist, but for who, the select few who can go. Joe citizen cannot plunk down 25 cents (or the inflation adjusted equivalent) at a newstand and view the photographs at his leasure.

Looking at a photo illustrated story just for pleasure of viewing the pictures, you know, like Eugene Smith's "Country Doctor"
    Too bad Aperture sucks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    HCB had lead a brilliant life. Getting off the topic a bit but here's an interview on Charlie Rose.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZSZLzGNPBQ
    Not all H.C-B interviews went well particularly when H.C-B couldn't maintain absolute control of events. Here's a gem from Jim Hughes via TOP:
    http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...sible-man.html

The point is that worthwhile scholarship of H.C-B's life and work has to be based on the few sources not contrived by H.C-B himself. All else tends to be a songbook for his besotted fans.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Not all H.C-B interviews went well particularly when H.C-B couldn't maintain absolute control of events. Here's a gem from Jim Hughes via TOP:
    http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...sible-man.html

The point is that worthwhile scholarship of H.C-B's life and work has to be based on the few sources not contrived by H.C-B himself. All else tends to be a songbook for his besotted fans.
    Can I take it from your comments that you have zero appreciation of his images? All I can say is that when I met him I found him quite convivial in conversation and he did not object to me taking his photograph. Everybody is allowed to be a complete idiot at some point in their life, as long as they don’t make a habit of it.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...1998/index.htm

In his later years he was using his # 1.000.000 M6 Leica. (info from On the other side of the Camera by Arnold Crane).
    I always read that Alfred Eisenstaedt got the one millionth Leica, specially engraved.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    Too bad Aperture sucks.
    Wow, I did a check and was a bit shocked. Life in 1948, available everywhere for 35 cents. Inflation adjusted to $3.45 in 2013

Aperture, well good luck finding it. But you can subscribe for $75, I think that is 4 issues, that is about $19 an issue (with worlds better production values than Life magazine I would assume), some really good photography too with a bit of the artsy fartsy stuff on display also. (Just because no one understands you does not mean you are an artist)

For what it is worth my exposure to good photography started in the 50's as a young hick kid growing up in southern Indiana. My great aunt Willa, a very imperious and refined lady, was concerned her 7 year old nephew was not having his horizions expanded enough so she got the family a subscription to The National Geographic. I spent many happy hours with that magazine and the often included maps.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    I always read that Alfred Eisenstaedt got the one millionth Leica, specially engraved.
    http://petapixel.com/2013/09/27/one-...ion-westlicht/

According to the link above, Eisenstaedt got the 1.000.001 Leica M3.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin