Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,517   Online: 848

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post

FYI, its an uncoated, non-AI version.
    Uncoated?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Uncoated?
    Yeah, I was wondering the same.
    Perhaps there is some confusion between single layer coating and the multi-layer coating technology that came about the beginning of the 70s?
    Nikon multi coated technology became known as NIC and Non-AI lenses were given a "C" to denote that. Until the 70s lenses were coated using a different method.
    You can read about the different 55mm versions here: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...kor/index3.htm
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Huh?
    I don't know really how to explain. f/1.2 is not in the full stop and I avoid buying lenses with such an aperture for example f/1.2, f/1.7, f/1.8, f/3.5, f/4.5, f/6.3 etc....
    I rather have lenses with aperture like f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6 etc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Talk me out of a Nikon 55mm f/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I don't know really how to explain. f/1.2 is not in the full stop and I avoid buying lenses with such an aperture for example f/1.2, f/1.7, f/1.8, f/3.5, f/4.5, f/6.3 etc....
    I rather have lenses with aperture like f/1.4, f/2, f/2.8, f/4, f/5.6 etc...
    Good thinking. I avoid those that end in 4 like 50/1.4, 200/4 and so forth and never shoot at f/4 or f/64 either. ;-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a 55mm f1.2 bought with my Nikon F in 1978, I have found it an excellent performer even wide open, using the correct lens hood with this lens is important. I don't think think it would be worth buying if you already have a 1.4. There wouldn't be much difference in speed.
    I have not found it tricky to focus as some have mentioned, because the "F" focussing screen is exceptional, it really snaps in and out of focus in a positive manner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's definitely coated, just single-coated, not multicoated.

Incidentally if a person really wants to play with sharp 50mm Nikon photography, the answer isn't the f/1.2 options; it's the 50/2 and the 50/1.8 AI (first version, with the non-AI meter coupling shoe). I think people think they're inferior because they're slower, but that's not the case at all. The 50/2 H and HC are probably the most underrated Nikon 50s you can find.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But it looks really neat when it's on the camera with it's hood!

How was the 58/1.2 Noct?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I purchase new, both a 1.2 & F3HP, and already had the 1.4 purchased with my EL. Both great lens. However, the 1.2 is mainly, in my mind at least, meant for low available light, hand held shooting. If not needed in that way, I choose the 1.4 or even a 2.0. At the time, I wanted the fastest speed lens for handheld shooting color (lower speed) without using a support. Business expense at the time. I still have the lens and almost never shoot it, for no particular reason other than its not what is mounted on the camera. I never compared it to the other lens and the different F stops since that was never a relevant issue.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin