Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,535,021   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Talk me out of a Nikon 55mm f/1.2

I was offered a near mint Nikon 55mm 1.2 lens. I already have a 1.4 on my F that is my standard go to lens for the handful of times a year I shoot 35mm (I'm a MF and LF guy). But I'm looking to shoot more 35mm this year, mostly museums and outdoors at night.

Does anybody have any firsthand accounts of this lens? How does it perform wide open and at f/2-ish? Is it really worth the extra 1/3 of a stop?

FYI, its an uncoated, non-AI version. I'll be shooting Tmax400 and FP5 90% of the time and Portra 400 and Provia the other 10%.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You don't need it.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want shallower depth of field, shoot a larger format. If you want photograph in lower light, push the film instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film cameras need these fast lenses more than cameras that use other technology. I'd get one and use it with film. At least that will spare us more blurry digital photographs posted on the internet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depends what it costs and where you shoot.

Pushing film is not a substitute for a fast lens. For film in low light, you most often need both. Or just go to another technology which, no matter how much less fun it can be, just works better in very low light.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry I'm a photographer, not a psychiatrist , but I can tell you that to expect a 1.2 lens to have a good performance at full aperture is contrary to the laws of physics.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    You don't need it.
    +1, and you'll rarely get the focus point right wide open...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yeah 1.2 is very hard to focus and has barely useable depth of field unless your subject is far away. I suppose it would be slightly useful for aerial shots at infinity. and if you pushed the film a third of a stop you would probably be better off since that is barely a push.

for what it's worth this is what Bjorn says about the 55/1.2:

This lens is impressive to behold, but image quality is modest when it is used wide open. There is a veiling flare from internal reflections that softens the image and coma is apparent at f/1.2. Residual optical aberrations lend a softness to the corners until the lens is stopped down to f/4-f/5.6, at which point it becomes a capable performer in terms of sharpness. Image contrast picks up beyond f/2.8 and is very good at f/8 to decline when the lens is stopped more down than this. Note that the 55/1.2 is susceptible to knocks from the side, such abuse can misalign the optical elements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I.2 lenses rarely throughout the whole their aperture range perform as well as 1.4 lenses because the design has been stretched, I have a Canon FD 1.2 lens that I rarely use ,because aperture for aperture the f1.4 is a better performer.
    Ben

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    buy it but ,don't use it;give it to me.I'll test it for you and let you know what you've missed.oh,I can be so cruel.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin