Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,670   Online: 884

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    I actually don't have any Leica slrs yet, but I'm thinking of going that way and wondered if they'd be a good investment.
    The R line, sadly, is dropping in value because of the film market decline, but the lenses are still selling for big bux because they can be used on DSLRs. This means you can buy a really excellent body for very cheap. KEH has many for less than $300.

Investment? No camera is a good investment -- you buy the tool, you use it, if you are fortunate you like it so much you wear it out. The return on investment is job satisfaction.

As to their usability -- Leica R models are like all Leicas -- built to last. I can highly recommend the Leicaflex SL2. The meter is highly accurate, the screen incredibly bright and easy to focus, the camera is built like a tank and the shutter is like good sex when it fires.
    Last edited by summicron1; 02-08-2014 at 10:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you considered asking Leica?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    Leica has totally abandoned its R line -- I made inquiry a coupla years ago about a repair to one and was referred to off-site repair people such as DAG.

Their web site doesn't even mention them. Sad.
    See post #4

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    See post #4
    i did. I live in the USA. I ain't sending my camera to Germany for a meter tune-up.

ct

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But thus you can't state they totally abondonned the R-models. You are right, the US being a major market offering a local service would be a good idea.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Buying photography gear either film or digital as an an "investment" is what people tell themselves to rationalise their acquisitions to themselves and their significant others, if you need to get real World return on investing your cash, put it into something else.
    I meant using it for a very long time, rather than financial concerns.

Shooter
    35mm
    Then get a Manual camera form Nikon, Pentax, Canon, etc., or any other manufacturer that sold thousands of units: plenty of spare parts available and easier to repair if needed.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A well maintained Leicaflex will serve you fine for a long time. I purchased my Leicaflex SL cheaply from a reputable dealer and have sent it for a CLA shortly after.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    well, for what it's worth, Leicas are made to finer tolerances than cheaper cameras, which means less wear, which means they last longer. The SL doesn't use foam for a mirror cushion, for example, it is mechanically damped, which means no foam to rot and need replacement.

You find 50 year old Leicas in use daily. Not many Canon or Nikon can say that, although the advice about spare parts is worth pondering.Then again, at the prices that even Leica R are going for, you can afford to just stock a replacement when one breaks.

AgX -- when i checked with Leica USA they didn't tell me about any "send it to Germany" option. They said "We don't fix those any more. Send it to these other guys ..." and gave me a list.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Miranda View Post
    Then get a Manual camera form Nikon, Pentax, Canon, etc., or any other manufacturer that sold thousands of units: plenty of spare parts available and easier to repair if needed.
    I want fabulous glass. Maybe a Contax slr would be a better choice. My Nikkors lack "sparkle".

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin