Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,330   Online: 940

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Speaking from my point of view, all these links are almost comedic. I've read 'em all. For a whole year I studied this problem from every point of view. But each time my studies ended up at the same conclusion. A silver battery is a fair performer compared to the mercury. But its failings still did not stack up. Schottkey diodes, adaptors, re-adjustment of sensitivity... you name it.
    I guess I'm claiming to be a self-proclaimed expert on this particular subject. And there's not much in this world I can lay claim to such a level of knowledge and proficiency. A voltage regulator is the only answer, if you want a perfect result; which I actually finally achieved. OK. I'll shut my yap on this one, guys. The second best idea was one von Hoegh came up with on his Nikkormat. But I've only been here a year and didn't know about his wein idea

Shooter
    35mm RF
    HiTom

Sure a voltage regulator and a higher voltage battery would work but I've got a large number of cameras that would need one as well as two lunasix...

But ignoreing your expertise

Zinc air cells are so close to 1.3v, they are available as hearing aid or Wein and economic for a working pro who will use the meter regular they have limited life in service, ie once you remove the seal a few months... and may turn on slow...

The silver cell is ok if you discard early and fit a diode adapter. If you drop the adapter and it dissapears into a drain you are stuck. You can test the battery with multimeter & resistor before a shoot, they are on shelf life time with a Lunasix unless you clamp the rocker down discard after 18m

It is easy for me to add a Shockety diode internally and stick a label to remind me (use AgO). But is nice to use a K1000 and not have to worry about a shop open on Sunday... even silver buttons are difficult.

A Weston II/invercone is way cheaper than your regulator I always carry one as a backup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought an adapter off ebay for mine about 6 years ago, not expensive at all particularly as it included the batteries.

Ian

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Speaking from my point of view, all these links are almost comedic. I've read 'em all. For a whole year I studied this problem from every point of view. But each time my studies ended up at the same conclusion.
    Why do you not sum-up your findings and ideas and post them here?

In case a voltage regulater would be necessary, then a smd-circuit could still be tiny enough to be placed inside a camera- or meter-housing, for those who want to manipulate their gear. (On the assumption that the substituting cell still fits in the battery chamber.)

Those who have a U/I regulated power supply can mimic the different states of a cell and check what effect on metering/working of their meter/camera it has.
    Last edited by AgX; 02-10-2014 at 05:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. I've been assuming for many years that Gossen knew what they were doing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Interesting. I've been assuming for many years that Gossen knew what they were doing.
    +1

My Luna Pro S has a voltage-dropping diode installed for modern batteries, and is recalibrated to work with those batteries.

It's darn near spot on with my Luna Pro SBC, from top to bottom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photography is an expensive hobby $60 isn't such a fortune in the scheme of things because Wein cell Zinc Air cells are expensive and don't last very long, in the long run the voltage reducing adaptor is probably the best option, and you know it will work correctly.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format

Internal Battery conversion

I use a forward biased germanium diode like a 1N60 on single cell applications (OM1 et al) and sort through some regular silicon diodes (1N4007) for a .5 VDC forward drop for 2 cell applications like the Luna Pro. I use the PX625S silver oxide cells in mine they fit without a diameter adapter and last for years.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Why do you not sum-up your findings and ideas and post them here?

In case a voltage regulater would be necessary, then a smd-circuit could still be tiny enough to be placed inside a camera- or meter-housing, for those who want to manipulate their gear. (On the assumption that the substituting cell still fits in the battery chamber.)
    For a couple reasons--it's been a couple or 3 or 4 years ago, and I have only the recollection of having done it, but no notes I can gather. The years pass so fast now, what might have been 2 years ago could actually have been 4.
    And for another reason. I don't want to come off as an overbearing know-it-all, daring anyone to challenge me.
    It's enough for me to know I satisfied myself on the question of what would happen to the last roll of film before discovering the silver batteries had finally died. Because that roll would surely be over-exposed, for an occasional shooter such as myself. For those who shoot a lot, then that translates into several rolls overexposed because of the curve-falloff in battery output. To me, this was unacceptable. I continued on till I was happy even the last roll was shot with an accurate meter still running at 2.7v

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    ... I don't want to come off as an overbearing know-it-all, daring anyone to challenge me...
    Not to beat this dead horse even deader but publishing one's research, findings, and conclusions serve the communiy as a whole and does not do any of the things you think it may do. In fact, it does exactly the opposite and bolsters credibility. But this is a moot point since you no longer have notes or recollection.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin