Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,659   Online: 1001

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    At that time I never knew of this board or what I was to later learn from my exposure to you folks. But allow me to once again give honorable mention to E von Hoegh's wein and Nikkormat idea about leaving air holes covered. Because I do know that if if duty time capacity of the battery per meter-reading meets his standard on a Nikkormat, then certainly it will work on the Luna Pro with its lower corrent draw. Though I cannot speak for its voltage curve.
    Besides it is moot anyway because the inventor this little regulator only had several prototypes made before dropping the project due to marriage, and asked me to not pass on his name. Even sent me a photo of him and his bride. I remember it being a case of love is surely blind. But my best to him.
    Last edited by Tom1956; 02-10-2014 at 01:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To my understandind the idea of E von Hoegh was the same as that of Wein: to reduce airflux to cell.
    Wein did that by having custom produced zink-air cell with holes of smaller diameter and E von Hoegh hinted at using standard cells but covering a number of air holes instead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... but since EvH died before the zinc-air cell was first produced, he should be credited with thinking of the idea first.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 02-10-2014 at 01:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Emil died in 1915. 1st commercial product in 1932

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    This was one of the ideas I rejected. Introduced too many contact surfaces and does nothing for the voltage output curve problem. The current draw of the meter is so low that extra contact surfaces introduced an intermittency problem. Think of the AAA's in your TV remote. How many times have you bought new batteries only to discover all you had to do was take thm off and wipe them off, or even revolve them in their compartment with your thumb? All this gimmick does ia suck the contents out of an egg and replacing them with something else so it would still look like an egg.
    To sum up the problem the best course of action outside of regulation is to proceed with your favorite idea and test and/or replace the silver batteries regularly with a digital voltmeter, before your reach the end of the curve plateau. BTW--Family Dollar is now selling 357 silvers a lot cheaper than the drug stores or Wallyworld.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn''t that basically how the Gossen adapter is constructed (option 3)? And how different is his device from Gossen's in terms of contact surfaces? Since that paper offers virtually every option available except legalizing and resuming production mercury cells... then what did you reject? I'm not challenging you; I'm truly confused.

BTW... I always thought spinning hte batteries in the TV remote had something to do with heat and/or assertion of human superiority and dominance over electronic devices.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 02-10-2014 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    This was one of the ideas I rejected. Introduced too many contact surfaces and does nothing for the voltage output curve problem. The current draw of the meter is so low that extra contact surfaces introduced an intermittency problem. Think of the AAA's in your TV remote. How many times have you bought new batteries only to discover all you had to do was take thm off and wipe them off, or even revolve them in their compartment with your thumb? All this gimmick does ia suck the contents out of an egg and replacing them with something else so it would still look like an egg.
    To sum up the problem the best course of action outside of regulation is to proceed with your favorite idea and test and/or replace the silver batteries regularly with a digital voltmeter, before your reach the end of the curve plateau. BTW--Family Dollar is now selling 357 silvers a lot cheaper than the drug stores or Wallyworld.
    I purchased his adapter in February 2009 for my Leicaflex. And to be frank I think the camera's meter still runs on the very first battery. I might have changed it once in five years but I really can't say for sure.

From the link:

Only Silver-oxide cells can be used because they have a
    constant output voltage like mercury cells.
    Last edited by miha; 02-10-2014 at 02:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    At that time I never knew of this board or what I was to later learn from my exposure to you folks. But allow me to once again give honorable mention to E von Hoegh's wein and Nikkormat idea about leaving air holes covered. Because I do know that if if duty time capacity of the battery per meter-reading meets his standard on a Nikkormat, then certainly it will work on the Luna Pro with its lower corrent draw. Though I cannot speak for its voltage curve.
    Besides it is moot anyway because the inventor this little regulator only had several prototypes made before dropping the project due to marriage, and asked me to not pass on his name. Even sent me a photo of him and his bride. I remember it being a case of love is surely blind. But my best to him.
    Indeed it does. For going on three years... that's right, the cell I put in the 'mat was still good the last I used the camera's meter about two months ago. I put the cell in in April 2011, with three of the four holes covered. I use standard hearing aid cells. If and when the mercury cells in the Gossen ever die, I'll let you know how they work in a LunaSix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... but since EvH died before the zinc-air cell was first produced, he should be credited with thinking of the idea first.
    What do you mean, I died?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Who am I to talk you out of being happy when you're happy? All in all the best idea for the average joe is to put 357's in there with a paper ring to fill out the diameter, and a little wad of aluminum foil on top of the sandwich before screwing on the cap, and re-rating your film speed for the higher voltage. But most importantly, keeping a vigilant check on your battery voltage with a DVM to avoid the slow falloff. Silvers are the closest to mercury on discharge curve, but still far from it. Past the 50% lifetime, you're playing with fire.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin