Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,861   Online: 1064

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    I I am using 400 film and filters I would set iso 200 for a yellow filter, 100 for an orange and 50 for red, and meter using those settings, works fine for me
    It couldn't be any more difficult than doing exactly that, or so I thought until I read this thread.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Meter through B&W Filters

There was a simple formula on a similar thread recently, now I can't remember... Bill, was it...

ASA / filter factor # = new EI?

Like 100 ASA with yellow filter (factor 2) is 100/2= EI 50?

So 100/red (5) = EI 20?

Is that right?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I seem to be in the minority camp here as I always metered through filters (when doing landscape work - I rarely ever use filters today). However, this is using a Weston V meter which responds to colours very much like film. I have always found filter factors to be unreliable as they do not account for dominant colour of light or colours within the scene. For example, when metering dark shadows to determine ZoneIII there is often a lot of blue light and the exposure compensation is often more than 3 stops.

I am aware that earlier in-camera meters had spectral sensitivity problems and do not know how your meter responds and how you meter.

I would be interested in what other photographers approach is.

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The problem is the spectral sensitivity of CdS cells and TTL metering - you need to know what you are doing.

Taking the battery out of the OM1 is easier I might needle follow rather then push the button.

The rest of us can work around non average sceanes any way we chose.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    It couldn't be any more difficult than doing exactly that, or so I thought until I read this thread.
    If you're finding photography straightforward then you're clearly doing it all wrong

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "If you're finding photography straightforward then you're clearly doing it all wrong"

I will assume this is satire, and funny satire at that. All you'll ever need to know on this subject is stated concisely and clearly by R. Gould (and thank you for that post). If you will just commit this to memory or jot it down somewhere, you can then adjust your in camera meter to agree w/ this, and extrapolate the different ISO films from the 400 base. But if you did that, then we couldn't argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    "If you're finding photography straightforward then you're clearly doing it all wrong"

I will assume this is satire, and funny satire at that. All you'll ever need to know on this subject is stated concisely and clearly by R. Gould (and thank you for that post). If you will just commit this to memory or jot it down somewhere, you can then adjust your in camera meter to agree w/ this, and extrapolate the different ISO films from the 400 base. But if you did that, then we couldn't argue about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
    It probably was satire and quite risible, but true if you want shots 'like' Ansells, he employed a zone system and quaint developers...

But R Gould post wont (always) work with a CdS meter camera with a meter cell behind the filter e.g. lots of the early range finders and almost all early SLR, It is important not to 'set up' beginners with a new film camera and a yellow filter. It is ok with a silicon cell behind the filter, camera except you don't adjust the ISO at all!

If you don't understand that, please read momus' post again, If I use a filter I remove the battery from my 'post' cell metering cameras first... and use my Weston as RGould suggests, note YMMV

Lots of our kids are moving from lomos to metal cameras and need basic training that does not occur in a DSLR course in college...

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lhalcong View Post
    Metering with a sekonik through B&W red or orange filter does not work , I have to meter without the filter and then use the compensating factor. Correct ?
    That's O.K, as long as you don't forget to reset the compensation factor when you remove or change the filter, I find it a better method with my Sekonic L358 to apply the filter factor after taking the meter reading easy, and you can't forget to reset the meter.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    I will assume this is satire, and funny satire at that. .
    well, I wouldn't dignify it with the epithet 'satire' but, yes, to be clear, it was intended to be humorous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I always have accurate exposures metering through color filters with my Pentax digital spot.
    Same for me with Minolta and Nikon through the lens meters. According to others I must not have enough experience with this since I have been doing it this way since the 1970's.

Silly me
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin