Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,904   Posts: 1,555,835   Online: 776

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Techniscope 2.66 Aspect Ratio , Any 35mm camera ?

I love Spagetti Westerns when Dirty Harry appears on the final streched tight and long on the screen . Our friend btaylor wrote they were taken on 35mm film with 2.66 ratio , 2 perf and enlarged 4 perf with optics. I want to buy a cheap 35mm camera which its viewfinder and mechanism special for that format.
    I will strech it with computer. What is the aspect ratio of cheap anamorph p&s cameras ?

Umut
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mustafa a small correction Techniscope has an aspect ratio of 2.66 at the shooting Stage but was projected at the classic 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio.
    And do you mean a 35mm Still camera or Motion Picture if the latter get either an Eclair Cameflex and try to find the Techniscope kit for it or an Arri 35-II(A-C) and again try to find a techniscope kit for it.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Lomokino is the cheapest way to get the desired Aspect Ratio of 2.66:1 you only have to mask the Lomokino down from it's native 2.8:1 to 2.66:1

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello,

I dont have any ability to buy a arri , I am looking for photograph camera MDR. Cheapest and good lens one. I dont have money for 21mm nikon and fg. May be some crazy investors build something for me. By the way , I dont know the aspect ratio of cheap panorama cameras , may be they suit but I dont know their specs.

Thank you,
    Umut

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do you make your own prints if so you could mask it off at the enlarging stage. A filmmask out of black cardboard with the correct Aspect Ratio. Another option would be to mask off the Filmgate of a classic 35mm SLR and put some marks with a permanent marker on the Groundglass.
    You could also use a cheap 2x anamorphic attachment on the lens this would create a 3:1 aspect ratio cut off a bit on the sides at the enlarging stage.
    (requires a de-anmorphizer to create a wide picture).

To get a 2.35 Aspect Ratio from a 35mm Stillcamera your have to create a mask in the following size: 36mm (wide) x 15.31mm (height) for a 2.66 Aspect Ratio 36mm (wide) x 13.53mm (height)

The original Techniscope frame is around 22.00 x 9.40 mm depending upon the camera manufacturer.

Good Luck

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hello again MDR,

22 x 9.4 mm format makes life is easy. If we hold the camera for that format , single 35mm frame holds nearly 4 frames. Opening the camera and reducing the gear teeths 1/4 with zenit camera does the trick , my neighbor was a passport photographer and he did that to his camera 1/2 and take pictures cheaper than the competitors and become rich at the 70s. Simple trick but it worked , he used an zenit et. He is still around and can help me. What would be the camera lens ? Again 58 mm helios or wider ? And is there a another trick I dont know.
    Were the lenses compressing one side of image more or everything is a frame and normal lens only ?

Thank you for your help ,
    Photography is costly for me and I have to tighten the belt.

Umut

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lenses for Techniscope were normal spherical lenses no compression of the frame. A 35mm lens should work well, a 25mm lens even better. If you only really use the techniscope frame you can get some old Lomo cine lenses and adapt them to your camera mount or vice versa build an OCT-18 (or 19) mount for your Zenit. This might interest you as well http://www.2perf.arandafilm.com.au/N...formation.html

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want to shoot still with that format why not simply use a 35mm camera and crop. You may need a wide angle lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    If you want to shoot still with that format why not simply use a 35mm camera and crop. You may need a wide angle lens.
    What a nice simple reply. Well done.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Wasen't there a special lens for 35mm movie cameras that was shot with the compressed and enlongated image vertical and then un-comprerssed for projection with the lens axis horizontal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin