Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,809   Online: 904

Shooter
    Multi Format

Olympus flash on nikon body

Hi there,
    I recently acquired a lovely Olympus Trip, and I already had an old Olympus T20 flash that works really well with it. The flash is TTL compatible, but I obviously can only use the two auto modes and manual on the Trip. I also carry around a Nikon F100, and have a small SB23 speedlight which is manual or TTL (no auto modes). It seems silly to carry around both flashes. There is obviously no issue with using the SB23 on the Olympus trip as it has a single flash contact in the middle of the shoe, but I get no auto modes, so I was leaning towards carrying the T20 so that I get two auto modes and manual on both the Trip and the F100. I've always liked Olympus flashes, they just seem reliable, and I get as good results from their auto modes as I do from TTL. I also like the way the sensor is hidden inside the 'O' of 'Olympus'. You can tell whoever designed that had a good sense of aesthetics! However, the TTL contacts and 'ready' contact on the Olympus are obviously in different places to the Nikon, so I was concerned I might damage the F100 by using the Olympus flash. Any suggestions if this is a good idea or not?
    Ta!

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    please be careful with old flashes on modern cameras. Some models have a high voltage circuit and on the two contacts of the pluf there are 230 to 300 Volts (e.g. old Metz CT 45). This voltage can damage electronic circuits in AF or Digi Cameras. You can check it with a volt meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikon says (in my F100 manual) that flash voltage over 250v is not compatible.

Regardless of voltage, I would not use a non-Nikon TTL flash unless the flash ttl contacts are disabled. Just out of caution.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    35mm
    Flash auto exposure really took off since Nikon F-801. Nikon F100 has very sophisticated flash metering system that is underutilized with SB23. Even more confusing that you want to use Oly flash on F100. But if you reeaaally want to do that make sure not to connect the flash directly to F100 hot shoe and use flash trigger instead.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin