Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,088   Online: 970

Images

What is a Votar 135mm f/3.5?

Years ago I inherited a Votar from my uncle. He was a Leica and Rolleiflex fan. In the mix of things, there is a Votar lens. Looks funky. Mostly chrome except the image end is black and reads "Votar 1:3.5 f = 135mm West Berlin Germany Nr 17366", and a red V. Looks like a piece of junk. Is it?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Out of curiosity, is the lens in a focusing mount? Does it have a 39 mm Leica-type screw thread on the end? (You say your uncle was a Leica fan). Never heard of the lens, but quite a few makers produced lenses in Leica-thread mounts. As this type of lens is relatively easy to make, the example you have might well work OK if in good condition. Rumours that this company also made a floating-element design called the Floating Votar cannot be confirmed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    It is a focuser and is threaded on the camera end. I don't know what Leica threads look like. The threads are male and about 1 19/32" OD. That's about 40mm. Could this be the Leica 39mm thread?
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loose Gravel
    It is a focuser and is threaded on the camera end. I don't know what Leica threads look like. The threads are male and about 1 19/32" OD. That's about 40mm. Could this be the Leica 39mm thread?
    Sure sounds like it! You may find that the maker tried so hard to copy the Leica 135 mm lens (called a Hektor) that he also made the lens head capable of being unscrewed. If so, the lens could be used for many other things (the lens head of the Hektor when unscrewed covered at least 4x5").

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin