Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,207   Online: 846

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    yes I think that was about the time they stopped.
    some say it was because the eletronic wirerings needed was too complicated as Topcon has that quite small opening (from Exata).. I don't know.
    in the end they tried to make cheap cameras - they was unfortunately not good at all....

I agree that airforce would treat camera roughly. Never the less it is amazing how good they still work, and how high quality the lenses (still ) have..
    Gotta love it

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    The top of the line Topcon was the Navy's 35 mm camera from the early 70s to the mid 70's, lots of nice features for the day, but less expensive than Nikon or Canon. From what what I recall Topcon did not hold up under daily use and by the late 70s the Navy moved to Canon. the Topcons that are engraved U.S Navy are very collectable, the other are not.

Regards

Paul
    I was familiar with the Topcon from the Navy. Ours was seldom used so I don't know about its reliability. Out of curiosity where they came from, I found an article on the Web about them, from a Topcon collector's site. Someone in the US Government considered them to be the most rugged and reliable 35mm SLR available in the late 1960's. Not only did the US Navy buy a large quantity, but so did the FBI.

Basicaly, if a ship was built when the Topcon system was being issued, the camera stayed with the ship until it was decommissioned, unless the camera developed a problem and had to be refurbished.

Around 1980, the Canon F1 came out and had a mean cycles between shutter failures that was double the industry standard. Ships built from that time on were issued the F1. Don't know when its contract ran out nor what replaced it.

It seems the Topcon wound up as sort of an oddity. Someone, somewhere in the Government thought they were great, but maybe that greatness didn't pan out.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    they also made a camera just like the speed graphic ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Googled for Topcon camera and found this interesting tidbit.

"A popular story at the time was Topcon got the Navy contract because a Navy purchasing agent thought Beseler was an American made camera!" http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonmil.htm

Don't know how credible that statement is, but things like that happened.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I heard the same story, the Air Force purchased the medium format Graphic XL system to replace the Konica Rapid because it was made in the US. I know that in the in 70s there were federal laws that required the DOD to buy American even if the product cost more or not as good as imported products. In the late 60s the Nikon F was just making a name for it's self, but by the mid 70's Nikon and Canon had become the pro brands although Leica, Alpha, Pentex and other brands were quality systems. I think the Army and the Air Force still use Nikon and the Navy Canon, but I guessing.

Paul

The Finger Lakes Region of New York State
    Shooter
    35mm
    By the way, the Secret Service also purchased Topcons. My D-1 came from them. It was in my dad's (an agent) office, unopened in the box. This was mid-1980s. Great camera.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin