Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,190   Online: 942

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the 35mm f2 and I have to say the almost legendary quality of this lens is well deserved. I have the first generation bought several years back when they were selling in the $800 range. I took me awhile to work up to the decision to lay out this kind of money but from my first roll I was glad I did.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have the 35/2 in ZS mount (M42) and the 85/1.4 in ZE mount (EOS), and I'm very pleased with both of them. Mechanically they are very solid and made for manual focus, if that's your preference (it's mine). The 85/1.4 is the closest thing I've seen to the look of a classic large format portrait lens for the 35mm format. That means it has some curvature of field at wide apertures, not as much as a Petzval, but enough to create that pleasant kind of falloff of resolution at the corners and still produce an enlargeable image, sharp where it's supposed to be sharp. If you're after a flat field lens that's sharp corner to corner, the 100/2 Makro Planar is probably a better choice in that focal length range, but if you want a beautiful portrait lens for the 35mm format, also very nice for selective focus with still life (e.g., food photography), it's hard to beat the 85/1.4.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    With the FM2 I didn't have problems focusing. With the F100, a bit more tricky as you only get to see DOF from f/2.8 down.
    AF assist works, right?

That's what I use for a 28/2.8 AI-s with the F100 (which is a great combo, fwiw).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMorris View Post
    AF assist works, right?

That's what I use for a 28/2.8 AI-s with the F100 (which is a great combo, fwiw).
    Yes it does with the ZF2 version, it just makes it a bit trickier as you have to adjust focus, check the dot, move it a bit more to be sure, check the dot again then shoot. The focus confirm does cover a bit of a range so if you are at min focus distance and f/1.4 you have to play a bit and find the middle. Still it is usable.
    Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin