Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,704   Posts: 1,548,473   Online: 867

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could do far worse than to get a Konica T3 -- pressing the shutter halfway "traps" the needle and thus locks exposure. Very positive action; you can see it in the viewfinder. This is shutter preferred AE, so you know. The Hexanon lenses are first class, and the camera is a real tank, with a Copal shutter that will never give you problems.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I was thinking that the Nikon FE does the half-press on the shutter release to lock the exposure. Now, I realize that it's been ages since I shot the FE, which used to be a real workhorse for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't particularly like automatic cameras that lock exposure when the shutter is pressed half way down as I always operate the camera with the shutter half way pressed to minimize the lag, but when this means the exposure is locked and the lightning conditions are not stable...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On the Canon T-90 and Nikons w/ AE lock, there is no shutter lag. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a SLR that had shutter lag, just on little compact cameras. The Leica R cameras seemed to have shutter lag but Ithink it's just the mirror going through a lot of gyrations. Never got along w/ those cameras.

To clarify, to my knowledge an AE-1 does not have AE-lock, the AE-1 Program does. But it's not half the camera a Nikon N8008s is, w/ only a top shutter speed of 1/1000, a cloth shutter, and no spot metering capability. And again, the AE-1 Program AE-lock is in an inconvenient location making you fumble around on the edge of the lens mount where you can't see it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lag I'm talking about is when you have to press the shutter button all the way down versus half way down. It has nothing to do with the Leica R cameras.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shutter lag is formed by the time to close the aperture and swing up the mirror. This time should be added but more impotant related the reaction time of the photographer. I do not see any time related benefit in pressing a staggered release button halfway in advance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just to make the point that other cameras (as well as Canon) resolved the awkward AE memory lock position found on the A-1, the Olympus OM-4 places it (lock/clear)conveniently as a lever next to the shutter button.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus OM-4T.

Spot metering. Multi-Spot metering. Exposure memory lock. Aperture preferred Auto exposure or Manual exposure.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Shutter lag is formed by the time to close the aperture and swing up the mirror. This time should be added but more impotant related the reaction time of the photographer. I do not see any time related benefit in pressing a staggered release button halfway in advance.
    Well, I do. And I'm not talking about the shutter lag for which the R cameras are quite famous for.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    I was thinking that the Nikon FE does the half-press on the shutter release to lock the exposure. Now, I realize that it's been ages since I shot the FE, which used to be a real workhorse for me.
    No, it doesn't do it.

Miha,
    I agree with that, although it might be useful for some photographers. Some later AF SLRs have the option of doing so.

As a curiosity and for the benefit of the OP, here is a list of all Nikons that have Auto Exposure Lock, and those that don't.

To start, the ones that don't have AEL:
    Nikon EM/FG/FG-20 series - Nikon here "copied" Pentax and didn't give those cameras an AEL. Considering that previous cameras had the AEL on the self-timer lever, my guess is that Nikon thought it might confuse beginners and that they might press the lever inadvertently.
    Nikon FA - Although it uses the chassis and some common components from the FE series, Nikon removed the AEL probably due to the introduction of AMP (matrix metering).
    AF cameras without AEL are only 2:
    Nikon F65 and the F55 - The F65 was introduced in 2000 as the successor to the F60 which had the AEL. Don't know why they removed it. On the other hand the F65 has DOF preview for the first time in a low priced Nikon.

These are all the auto-exposure Nikon SLRs with AEL:
    Nikkormat EL/ELW and Nikon EL2 - The EL introduced AE and had the AEL as part of the self-timer lever. You push the lever towards the lens to lock exposure and pull away to activated the self-timer.
    Nikon FE/FE2 - They retain the same arrangement as the Nikkormats had.
    Nikon F3 - The AEL is a button on the front of the camera just bellow the DOF preview button.
    Nikon F301 - The AEL is a lever on the front side, on the right top side as you hold the camera to your eye-level.
    Nikon F501 - This one had the AEL as a button on the right top side. Bellow it is another button for the AF-Lock.
    Nikon F4 - It has much of the same arrangement as the F501, except the order is reversed: the top button is for AFL and the bottom one for AEL.
    Nikon F801/601 and F90 series - They have the AEL as a sliding lever on the back of the camera.
    Nikon F401 series - They have the AEL as a button on the front top.
    Nikon F50/60/70/75/80/100/5/6 and FM3A - They all have the AEL as a button on the back of the camera. In some cameras it also doubles as the AFL or it changes the meter mode to centre-weighted. The F50/60 and F70 have the button towards the right end of the camera. All the others have it towards the viewfinder.

That's about it. Hope it makes it easier for future reference.
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM2N, 10
    A bunch of Nikons

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin