Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,591   Online: 1143

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

35mm SLR with meter and comfortable AE lock

Hi all.
    Firstly, I don't have a vast knowledge of various cameras / brands.. I do appreciate fine old mechanical gear very much, but this time i am looking for something different. Some time ago I have sold practically all of my small format gear to help me fund the LF quest. That is now mostly achieved and very much enjoyed but I'd like to add something small and handy just to put over the shoulder when going out.
    My requirements are: reliable meter, so that I don't have to worry about that and comfortable in hand.

I've recently got myself a Canon A-1, no doubt a fine camera, I am enjoying the simplicity of AE modes in either shutter or aperture priority but some things like the wheel on the front and especially the - for me- very uncomfortable AE-lock button close to the mount and on the "wrong" side" just do keep annoying me so I thought I'd look around for some other options.

I'm looking for feedback from users of various makes and models - which of your SLRs is easiest to use with AE lock? I'd imagine single-hand operation, like index finger for the shutter and thumb for AE lock? is there such a thing?

Thanks
    | website | ipernity thing |

Shooter
    35mm
    The grip on a camera, and associated controls, depends on the user. Some cameras with excellent technical specs, have lousy ergonomics, and vice versa. Many late period AF SLRs had the AE lock in close proximity to the right thumb, which is probably the best place for it. Although I have smallish hands for a man, I don't usually get on with micro cameras and find them slippery, and expend a lot of effort in maintaining a firm hold.

My current favourite compromise between size, grip, light weight and control ergonomics, is a Canon 3000 with 40mm pancake lens. An entry level camera, and probably the smallest, lightest EOS SLR Canon ever made, it's nevertheless well specc'ed and has a substantial grip even without neck or wrist straps. It's not a pretty camera by any means, but it's layout is completely logical and the handling as good as anything I've come across. I use it in preference to my pro SLRs most of the time and it fits in a jacket pocket ready to shoot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Canon T90 in partial or spot metering mode: just press shutter halfway and you have AE lock. Or am I wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Canon T90 in partial or spot metering mode: just press shutter halfway and you have AE lock. Or am I wrong?
    well, that's a thing that I'd like to know When I take a reading with the A1 in the shadows or whatever area and then move to recompose, the meter changes the values if I simply hold the shutter half pressed. That's when you need the AE lock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by andreios View Post
    well, that's a thing that I'd like to know When I take a reading with the A1 in the shadows or whatever area and then move to recompose, the meter changes the values if I simply hold the shutter half pressed. That's when you need the AE lock.
    I will check when I get home on my T90

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks

Just to clarify, I am not set on FD mount. I don't have any additional lenses nor brand preference, so ideas from different makers aee fine as well.

Sent from my i9300 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I personally like the location of the AE lock on the Nikon F3, though you do have to keep it depressed. I can easily hold the shutter button halfway with my index finger, and hit the AE lock with my middle finger. BTW the F3 only has full manual, and aperture priority modes, and runs nearly forever on a pair of watch batteries. I picked mine up in EX condition from KEH for $180 and theres not a mark on it. The 50mm F1.4 was another $150.
    Mamiya RB67 Pro-S, Mamiya-Sekor 90mm F=3.8C

Nikon F Photomic FTn, Nikkor H.C 50mm F=2

www.flickr.com/photos/shootfilm08

Shooter
    35mm
    The best ones are those with match needle metering. No need for an AE lock, absolute freedom in exposure selection.

Canon F-1 (new, old does not matter).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My T-90 has AE lock by simply pressing the shutter button half way. I agree w/ you on the awkwardness of the location on the lock on the Canon A-1. Very inconvenient. To my knowledge, an AE-1 has no AE lock feature. I would recommend the T-90, but it's a big camera and not for everyone. Not heavy, just big. The lenses though are superb. For a smaller camera w/ AE lock on the back w/ a convenient thumb location try a Nikon N8008s. Mine has a top shutter speed of 1/8000, spot, center, and matrix metering, and it was purchased for just $20. To my mind the best of the Nikon glass is not as good as the best of the Canon FD glass (although I prefer the Nikon cameras), but you can put a Leica R lens on the Nikon w/ a simple, inexpensive lens mount adapter, and shoot them in stop down mode. That levels the playing field nicely :}

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leica R cameras (R3-R7) lock exposure by pressing the shutter half way down when in spot mode (or M, but M is spot only). This doesn't work with the motor or winder attached and using the release on the dedicated grip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin