Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,286   Online: 1120

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It ain't about the toys kids.

It's more about using your imagination when you play.

http://leicaphilia.com/?p=311

Love this quote

"It wasn’t about sharpness or resolution, or aspherical elements, or creamy bokeh or chromatic aberation or back focus or all the other nonsense we feel necessary to value when we fail to acknowledge the poverty of our vision."
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over the years I have found that there are folks who take photographs in order to own cameras and those who own cameras in order to take photographs. The pros I have worked with are usually in the latter. It is not that equipment is not important, but equipment is not the goal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Awww, Dad, but the toys are fun! Can we get some more toys? Huh? Can we pleeeeeeeeease? Mom said I could have a Deardorff!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post

Love this quote

"It wasn’t about sharpness or resolution, or aspherical elements, or creamy bokeh or chromatic aberation or back focus or all the other nonsense we feel necessary to value when we fail to acknowledge the poverty of our vision."
    That was my excuse for a long time before I realized I was making some properly boring photographs. It took a brutally honest review of my photographs to come to that realization, but today I'm thankful for it. No excuses, only hard work to try to become better at what I do. Vision is everything.

PDH - you say it well that equipment is important, but not the goal. That is, if you're into photography mostly because you're interested in making photographs that mean something. I think it's OK to be into photography for the sake of being interested in cameras, their technical excellence (or lack thereof), and things relating to a less artistic appreciation of the medium. It's all good.

Leica wouldn't be selling as many cameras as they do if it wasn't for the geeky collectors.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Wow, revelations as plain as day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    only hard work
    This part many forget. I know couple of very talented people who are just lazy, if they put many kilometers in their shoes - they would be much better photographers.
    Good shoes for walking, and bunch of film - this is more important than some extra lens or camera !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice article.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really liked this line from the article: "Which leads me to note the confused and contradictory soap boxes current digital Leicaphiles too often find themselves standing on. Invariably, they drone on about the uncompromising standards of the optics, while simultaneously dumbing down their files post-production to give the look of an uncoated Summarit and Tri-X pushed to 1600 iso".
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoyed the article.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm

Human beings and being human

The human animal is an imperfect beast and is wont to wander off onto tangents that are not fit for man nor beast. The whole business of using a tool to make images can be over-thought and over-wrought. I am sure Cro-Magnon man swore his cave was better than your cave and his stick figures drawn on his cave wall were better than yours, and the animal blood he used to paint them with was superior to you animal blood. "Saber Tooth Cat blood is so yesterday."
    I once took some photos at a press conference of Sir Julian Huxley, a famed philosopher and brother of Aldous Huxley, the famed writer. The camera was an Asahi Pentax with a 105mm lens. Every time the shutter went off, he jumped. A rangefinder Leica or Nikon would probably have been a better choice but the the major university I was working for did not own such a camera.
    I loved the old Pentax but they were not perfect for every single job. Duh.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin