Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,754   Online: 1104

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although it may take awhile to convince your wife that the Leica would be a great option for you I do think you are on the right path. Much better to convince her of the Leica to start with than to convince her of something less expensive and then realize you still want the Leica.

I would start by emphasizing the fact that it is a "people" camera and that it will be great for documenting the family. With the right lenses flash isn't necessary and focusing a rangefinder indoors is arguably easier than working with other cameras. Then move onto the service life benefits. A Leica will last for a very long time. You can use it to take photos of children, then grandchildren and finally, even your great grand children. It really is an investment in your future. Finally, emphasize the value. Face it. Though the camera is expensive to start with, given some occasional service, it will probably outlast you. Unlike digital cameras that are frequently tossed out in 5/10 years or so, these cameras keep on taking excellent pictures.

There...if you can't get a good start with that then you need to take a debating class.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And go for the .72 finder. There is a very good reason why it has been a Leica favorite for a very long time.
    Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Whenever I buy another camera I promise my wife that I'll sell one out of my collection. It's not hard keeping my promise since I own too many cameras to begin with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Whenever I buy another camera I promise my wife that I'll sell one out of my collection. It's not hard keeping my promise since I own too many cameras to begin with.
    I say good luck with that. For me selling is a lot tougher than buying. It has become such a pain that I sold my entire Canon EOS setup straight to KEH a while back. Got about 50 cents on the dollar so I definitely did not make money but it got it out of my house pretty quickly.

Over the years I have accumulated so much stuff that it could take me another 10 years to get it sold. I refuse to watch "Hoarders" anymore because my wife says; "I know one of those!" And she is only being partly snide.
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It says here that Leica clarified that the titanium M9 only cost $26,000. Even though this is the camera you need, you are willing to settle???

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/13/l...re-a-32-000-c/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I say good luck with that. For me selling is a lot tougher than buying. It has become such a pain that I sold my entire Canon EOS setup straight to KEH a while back. Got about 50 cents on the dollar so I definitely did not make money but it got it out of my house pretty quickly.

Over the years I have accumulated so much stuff that it could take me another 10 years to get it sold. I refuse to watch "Hoarders" anymore because my wife says; "I know one of those!" And she is only being partly snide.
    I know the feeling. My wife has mentioned Hoarders too!

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    It's not just a camera, it's a family heirloom and you want your (future if not already present) kids to have something small, easily portable, and usable to remember you by.

It'll save you $$$ by not wasting film due to missed focus due to the superior RF.

It'll save you mental anguish by establishing that you have the best 35mm RF ever made. Don't mention you might want one with a meter inside next.

It'll give her more time with you (or you more time to do house chores if she already sees enough of you) by stopping the search for 35mm RFs. Don't mention they take lenses that all look different from a span of nearly 100 years that mostly can be used with this camera, plus the other brands of lenses available. Plus RF style bags, accessories for the lenses, etc etc.

It'll give you furthered sense of "Quality" as Pirsig put it in "Zen & Art of Moto. Maintenance" and thereby is a life improvement step not to be missed. Don't mention this might affect your choices in medium/large format cameras as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please, please, please DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT (is that a double negative?) say this is the last camera you will ever need.
    Dan

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sign up for a new email, start a Wordpress blog with it using a nom de plume, then write your own glowing review of whichever Leica you wish to buy. That way, you can custom tailor the "review" to fit your needs perfectly. Just don't let her find out.

For added bonus, come back here after writing said review and have people comment on its spot-on evaluation on why you need one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    ...and deal with the consequences later.
    No! No! No! No! Nooooooooooooooooo...

"They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin