Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,326   Online: 738

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rather obviously, you don't *need* one.

However, I've owned a few Leicas (not anymore) and they are fantastic cameras indeed.

If I had to in some way justify the purchase of a Leica. I'd say this:

'They are beautiful items, 100% functional, and hardly anyone makes beautiful items any more. It's a chance to own something remarkable".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When I cant convince Leica is better than japanese cameras in APUG , even comparing it to mercedes and I could not convince mercedes is better than toyota , you cant convince your wife to it. And if you need a article to explain everythiing to your wife , you have no idea what is leica is also so you have no business with it.

But let me find you a way , buy a 60 dollar or cheaper ps Leica and just start with it , buy a fixed lens , not zoom , it will explain your wife and to you , how it does perform , 4 months later , when the gas bill cut , you open the matter again to your wife.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/m3.htm

... trying to review the LEICA M3 is about as meaningful as trying to review any other immortal masterwork, like Beethoven's 9th Symphony or the Mona Lisa.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ignorants would say Michael Jackson is better than Beethoven , coca cola is better than Moet Chandon and ford to rolls royce , better way living alone and not marry or work, like me.
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You want a Leica, you don't "need" one.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A) Used normal (not special edition/material) Leicas are expensive relative to your other cameras, but they are not "expensive". A body is as much as an entry level DSLR...600-800 dollars.

B) Get a Voigtlander lens if you can't find/afford used Leitz lenses...a 35/2.5 or 35/1.4 for an M2 is a sweet little package.

C) Have you used a Leica before? They are, after all, just cameras. Built to an exponentially higher standard than something like a Canonet, but still just a camera.

D) Best finder magnification, in my opinion, is the .72ish range. Allows for 35mm lenses, feels good with a 50, and I don't use anything longer than that so couldn't care less about what the 90 frame is like.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    All my other cameras aren't worth enough to make it worth selling them. I could sell them for maybe $300. That probably buys a Leica lens cap.
    But does your wife know what all your cameras are worth? Sell them and tell her with the money raised you can now afford a Leica with enough left over to buy her a pair of shoes.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    Or you can just do what you want and deal with the consequences later.
    It's easier to buy it and apologize than to ask permission.

Buying a Leica and using brand X lenses is counterintuitive, after all you need a Leica.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here is my rationalization....errr, I mean rationale.......it is a beautiful, functional object that simply doesn't exist anymore and it will not depreciate much if any if I want to sell it. If you buy a user grade m2 or m3, you are looking at $5-600. Add a vintage Canon 50mm or older 50mm rigid summicron and you have something to enjoy and will probably be able to sell for close to what you buy it for. Hard to find a better deal than that. By that measure, a Leica is a pretty good deal.
    Your first 10,000 pictures are the worst - HCB

www.markjamesfisher.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might try a Leica Barnack screwmount (iiic or iiif) to start with if your vision can handle the squinty viewfinder. They are cheaper ($600-800 with lens) than the M series, yet can take great photos. All the ones I've had needed CLAs, but then worked like charms. Try to get as new as possible (late 50's). The iiig is the best of the screwmount Leicas, if you can afford it (about $1K with lens); nice larger viewfinder. I got an early M3 and have had a lot of problems with it, like the counter not working, and my CLA person unable to fix it; again, look for as new as possible/avoid the early numbers.
    Best of luck; there are a lot of these available! Careful, they can get addictive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin