Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,366   Posts: 1,682,932   Online: 758

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

recommend Leica review/article to convince my wife I need one

Wife keeps asking why I need one, when I already have other 35mm cameras. Need sufficiently touchy-feely glowing reviews on M2/M3/M6 to help explain that they are worth so much money. Please advise.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Careful, wives have a sixth sense about that sort of thing. Like the time a friend and I set out to go fishing, then decided to do it in the bar. Before heading home we grabbed some flounder from the bait store as proof we had been fishing....neither wife bought it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    You want one but you think you need one.

Your wife is aware that the first statement is true but knows the second isn't.

Sell your other cameras to cover 75% of the cost, and you should be able to persuade her to allow you to buy one.

Or you can just do what you want and deal with the consequences later.

Shooter
    35mm
    All my other cameras aren't worth enough to make it worth selling them. I could sell them for maybe $300. That probably buys a Leica lens cap.

What is the viewfinder magnification of a QL17GIII? I'm still not sure if I should be lusting after a .91 finder or .85 or .72.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    All my other cameras aren't worth enough to make it worth selling them. I could sell them for maybe $300. That probably buys a Leica lens cap.

What is the viewfinder magnification of a QL17GIII? I'm still not sure if I should be lusting after a .91 finder or .85 or .72.
    If you want to convince your wife, I would avoid referring to your "lusting" after anything other than her.

The only practical advice I can give you is to find some photographs that she might be inspired by, and show her the ones where a Leica was used.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    search and replace "camera or leica" with "shoes" and repeat the general question to her. Will the shoes be worth the same amount if she keeps them for a couple years in good shape and then sells them.

I'm not bitten with the leica bug, so maybe she's right. Just compare the M3 to a D800 or 5Dmk3

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post

It might be the case, but if you tell her that you will downsize your collection considerably, lets say from 20 down to 3 cameras, since that single one does it all. She might be convinced. I'm against hoarding myself, get rid off the stuff you don't use and collects dust... I'm looking at getting Leica, but I will sell all of my unused gear first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although it may take awhile to convince your wife that the Leica would be a great option for you I do think you are on the right path. Much better to convince her of the Leica to start with than to convince her of something less expensive and then realize you still want the Leica.

I would start by emphasizing the fact that it is a "people" camera and that it will be great for documenting the family. With the right lenses flash isn't necessary and focusing a rangefinder indoors is arguably easier than working with other cameras. Then move onto the service life benefits. A Leica will last for a very long time. You can use it to take photos of children, then grandchildren and finally, even your great grand children. It really is an investment in your future. Finally, emphasize the value. Face it. Though the camera is expensive to start with, given some occasional service, it will probably outlast you. Unlike digital cameras that are frequently tossed out in 5/10 years or so, these cameras keep on taking excellent pictures.

There...if you can't get a good start with that then you need to take a debating class.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And go for the .72 finder. There is a very good reason why it has been a Leica favorite for a very long time.
    Dan

The simplest tools can be the hardest to master.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Whenever I buy another camera I promise my wife that I'll sell one out of my collection. It's not hard keeping my promise since I own too many cameras to begin with.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin