Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,734   Online: 843

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

what are the most compact SLR's

I'm looking for a compact SLR. I have compact PS's, RF's, but I want reflex focusing.

I would prefer it to be all-mechanical and with a 50mm lens. I am OK with an electronic shutter and a lens that is a little wider (but not wider than 40mm).

I can think of,
    OM-1/2 + 50mm f1.8 and 40mm f2.0
    Pentax MX + 45mm f2.8

What are other options? I'm trying to gather a short so that I can evaluate the pros/cons and features of different cameras so that I can decide which to pursue.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    For the Pentax, that's a 40mm pancake lens (not 45mm).

- Also compact, Pentax ME Super (smaller than the MX). Has buttons that let you select shutter speeds. Not as easy as a dial, but it works.

- Minolta XD 11 with the 45mm f/2.0. (Other Minolta XD and XG bodies are the same size, I think.)

Offerings from other camera makers were about the same size: Contax 139, Yashica FX-D, Ricoh KR series, Nikon FE/FM (especially with that 45mm Nikkor).

- The Nikon EM is small but lacks manual shutter speeds.

- Smallest SLR would be the Pentax 110, but it's not 35mm and is autoexposure only.

- If you attach the prism finder to a Tessina, it's probably the smallest 35mm SLR, but it's not full frame.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yeah, the ME Super is a bit smaller. I am one of the few who actually likes the push button shutter speed adjustment on them. They're cheap, too!

I actually recommend the Chinon 45mm f/2.8 pancake over the SMC-M 40mm f/2.8 pancake. The Pentax one has more fame, but doesn't have the performance to back it up.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Minolta X-570 or 370 and 45mm f/2. Killer combination especially if you like aperture priority. X570 displays both shutter speed and aperture in the viewfinder.

Nikon FG series are pretty compact, too.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Pentax in the pre-Spotmatic days are even smaller and fully mechanical, with impressive fit and finish closer to Leicas than the K-mount Pentax models.

The Auto Takumar line is quite small, something like the 55/2.0 or 2.2 would be quite compact but a bit deeper than the later pancakes. The 35/3.5 is tiny but obviously wider than 40mm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Miranda dx-3, if you want to stand out from everybody else. Also, Vivitar XV series cameras - I think probably Cosina-made, so there should be equivalents under the Cosina brand.

The OM-1/2/3/4 and Pentax MX and ME Super are quite a bit smaller than the Nikon FM/FE series. The Nikon EM/FG/FG-20 are Nikon's mini-SLRs.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Pentax K1000 with /1.7 or /2 5cm
    Olympus OM1 with /1.8 5cm
    Nikon FG with /1.8 5cm series E

all light and small

The FG shutter is electronically timed (single manual speed with flat battery), the OM1 needs adaption for non mercury battery.

The Pentax and Olympus are more easy to maintain.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I bought a Contax 139 brand new in the early 1980's. Not only was it small, it was also very ergonomic. I loved mine.

The only downsides to the camera were the absence of mirror lock-up and the nice, cushy leatherette covering ended up falling apart in just a few years. Of course there are alternative replacement coverings available today.

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Miranda dx-3, if you want to stand out from everybody else. Also, Vivitar XV series cameras - I think probably Cosina-made, so there should be equivalents under the Cosina brand.

The OM-1/2/3/4 and Pentax MX and ME Super are quite a bit smaller than the Nikon FM/FE series. The Nikon EM/FG/FG-20 are Nikon's mini-SLRs.
    I agree with the XV, very nice compact, the 42mm SM body although stop down, metering is accurate. I would not recommend a Dx 3, it is the camera that did Miranda in, most are not working, takes 4 odd button batteries. In auto focus I like the Sigma SD 7.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Olympus PEN F is probably the smallest 35mm SLR that was ever made. I think that Leica once did a prototype version of a similar camera, but I don't think that it made it into production.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin