Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,872   Online: 1035

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might the Canon T-90 and one of the FD lenses. `Should be inexpensive.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second (or third) the suggestion of a Nikon FE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The X-700 is a great camera. I have the twin x-570 and it is my favorite. It does not have DX coding. Oh, and well within your budget.
    All paths are the same: they lead nowhere. Choose the one that has heart.

Don Juan

CHX

Shooter
    35mm
    Loads of options! Thanks, everyone

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would consider the Canon A-1.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A Nikon F3 would be my recomendation, aperture priority and full manual with no DX coding. Having aperture and shutter speed both displayed in the viewfinder is nice as well.
    Mamiya RB67 Pro-S, Mamiya-Sekor 90mm F=3.8C

Nikon F Photomic FTn, Nikkor H.C 50mm F=2

www.flickr.com/photos/shootfilm08

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CHX View Post
    I could really benefit from some advice here. I've had a nightmare of a time deciding on what to go for. I'm currently using a Zenit 11 and Pentax P30, but I really would like something that has consistent build quality, with a solid aperture priority mode, a decent flash sync speed, but either no DX coding or over-ridable DX coding. I've current got a Zenit 18 which is beautiful but has some issue with the electronics that renders it a nice ornament at the moment.

I'm tossing up between:
    * Praktica BX20 - A good option? Reliable?
    * Minolta X500 - Can't find information on wether or not DX coding can be over-ridden.
    * Zenit APK - Hard to find, but Pentax K mount great for choice of affordable lenses.

Are there any other good candidates? My budget is fairly tight (£50 odd for body only).
    The BX20 had a mixed reputation and as it was not top of the buyers list when it was made, there are very few good examples around now. The Zenit, made in the USSR was a basic manual brick of a camera which had very little going for it, again they have been out of production for quite a while and not easily found. Another one to stay away from. Well I would not buy one!.

Th Minolta X500 is much better than either of the two above. Not as popular as the X700 and not as many made but in my view a better camera. It does not have DX coding, all film speeds are set manually. A good buy if you can find one. The lenses are reasonably priced too and all are available from 20mm (quite rare) up to 300 also quite rare, but anything else including zooms are easy to find. As a starter the 35/70 zoom was absolute cracker and can be picked up for around £30 or so.

You could also look at the Olympus OM10/20/30/40, Pentax ME/ME Super/MV models all quite reasonably priced now. Non of these had DX coding for film speed, but that is something less to go wrong!
    Last edited by BMbikerider; 03-17-2014 at 05:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wilper View Post
    Or a Chinon CE-4?

Manual shutter speed or aperture priority. LR44 batteries, Pentax K-mount lenses. My favorite 35mm camera, liked it so much that I bought a replacement when the first one died (it was worn smooth, I don't suspect issues with bad quality or anything like that.)
    Good shout. The OP is in England and Chinon sold exclusively through Dixons, a high street chain. There are zillions around, and they frequently come with extra lenses, flash, a bag and an easy past life in mature and caring hands. Unlike some cameras, Chinons are rarely thrashed to death.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle M. View Post
    A Nikon F3 would be my recomendation, aperture priority and full manual with no DX coding. Having aperture and shutter speed both displayed in the viewfinder is nice as well.
    For £50 an F3 would be the living dead. Or possibly the dead dead.

Shooter
    35mm
    CHX,
    As you have already a Pentax, how about a ME Super or the Super A? If you want the latest manual focus with DX and override, how about a MZ-M?
    They are all within your budget.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin