Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,863   Posts: 1,583,188   Online: 793

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    CHX

Shooter
    35mm

Manual focus SLR with AP mode but no DX coding? Good options?

I could really benefit from some advice here. I've had a nightmare of a time deciding on what to go for. I'm currently using a Zenit 11 and Pentax P30, but I really would like something that has consistent build quality, with a solid aperture priority mode, a decent flash sync speed, but either no DX coding or over-ridable DX coding. I've current got a Zenit 18 which is beautiful but has some issue with the electronics that renders it a nice ornament at the moment.

I'm tossing up between:
    * Praktica BX20 - A good option? Reliable?
    * Minolta X500 - Can't find information on wether or not DX coding can be over-ridden.
    * Zenit APK - Hard to find, but Pentax K mount great for choice of affordable lenses.

Are there any other good candidates? My budget is fairly tight (£50 odd for body only).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about Pentax ME?

No manual shutter speed selection, but it does aperture priority like you requested.
    It uses ordinary LR44 batteries. Uses Pentax K-mount lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or a Chinon CE-4?

Manual shutter speed or aperture priority. LR44 batteries, Pentax K-mount lenses. My favorite 35mm camera, liked it so much that I bought a replacement when the first one died (it was worn smooth, I don't suspect issues with bad quality or anything like that.)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Most cameras with DX coding can be over-ridden by using either the dedicated DX over-ride or, if there isn't one, by using the exposure over-ride.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any Canon EOS camera. They have a DX system but you can manually input the film speed if you want to. You can pick up a 3-digit model for around £5.00 and a EOS 50e for about £25.00

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Olympus OM-2 or OM-4(my preference).
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nikon small chassis EM/FG/FG-20 offer a range of automation and should be cheap with a series E lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Nikon FG and the Minolta X-370 both have Aperture Priority and manual setting of the film speed.

Either should fit your budget.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Olympus OM-2 or OM-2n should fall within your budget for a very good but not mint one. These have centre-weighted off-the-film metering and are reliable as they were designed for professional use. The things to watch for are sticky foam seals (not a worry as they are pretty easy to diy replace), pinholed shutter curtains (obvious if you old it to the light) and sticking meter needle (it can stick on the end stop and this would require a full service effectively to fix). The flash sync is 1/60th which is normal for fp shutters of this period of manufacture. The OM-2SP also fits the bill if you can find a good one but they can eat batteries and there are more electronics to go wrong. The OM-4ti will flash sync at any speed when used with the F-280 flash and has the fantastic multi-spot metering but will be out of your budget.
    " ... a cook who relies on nothing but a sharp knife has no guarantee of producing excellent dishes." - Yoshihisa Maitani

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Nikon FE is aperture priority with a 1/90 flash-synch speed.

Also, there is the Ricoh KR10 Super, although I find the shutter to be too loud.

The Minolta XG7 is aperture priority, although I would opt for the XD-11, which offers both and is a beautiful camera. You probably will have to re-cover it.

Also, the Yashica FX-D Quartz and its sibling, the Contax 139 Quartz. Don't recall the synch speed, but it should be higher, because it's a vertical metal blade shutter.

And the Rolleiflex SL35 E, 2000F and 3003/3001, which have an excellent offering of Zeiss, Schneider and Rolleinar (made by Mamiya) lenses. However, these bodies have a reputation for faulty electronics - the 3003/3001 less so than the others.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin