Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,836   Online: 1027

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nagel owned one of the four companies (Contessa) that merged to form Zeiss Ikon in 1926. He left because he was made into a director instead of being allowed to be a designer. He sold his new company to Kodak as he was a brilliant designer (of cars as well as cameras) but was no good at running businesses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's easy to tell the fake Retina Ektars from the real ones. The fake ones look just like the Schneider lenses because....they are! They simply renamed them on the front. The Ektars (real) have a wide silver front to them and use the Kodak "camerosity" way of identification. I understand that they did this because they were having a harder time selling the non Ektar lensed cameras and the Ektar lenses were in short supply (not that the Xenar is a bad lens), so they simply renamed the Xenars to give people what they wanted. Sorta. I've owned Retina Ia cameras w/ the 50 Xenar lens and the real 50 Ektar, and there is no comparison. While the Xenar is a perfectly capable lens and makes lovely images, the Ektar is sharper by far and exhibits Heliar type 3-D imaging. Zeiss sharpness w/ Leica 3-D look. Very nice!

The Ektanar was a 3 element lens if I remember correctly. Not in the same league as a Retina Ektar. They used the Ektanar on the later Signets. Mr. Flibble's comments about the Signet shutter are what have kept me from buying one so far. That and the odd design and it's tiny size. Looks like it would be hard to hold properly for an adult. I found the following link helpful.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Kodak_lenses
    Last edited by momus; 03-20-2014 at 08:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Folks, camerapedia is filled with misinformation. Filled. If you want to know about EKCo lenses, get the information from Brian Wallen's site http://www.bnphoto.org/ . Brian's information comes straight from EKCo data sheets.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have at least one of the Computar enlarging lenses. Some of them look suspiciously like lenses marketed under the Beseler name. Almost all of the ones I have seen in recent years have some kind of discoloration of the cement between the elements. There was a good article somewhere, Shutterbug I think, about usng the various Computar lenses on bellows units for macro work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Folks, camerapedia is filled with misinformation. Filled. If you want to know about EKCo lenses, get the information from Brian Wallen's site http://www.bnphoto.org/ . Brian's information comes straight from EKCo data sheets.
    Personally I hate that camerapedia site the camera-wiki.org one is bit better.

Brian's site is excellent but only covers EKCo and Kodak made cameras elsewhere with different lenses and shutters, so I have UK made lenses Ektars and Anastigmats in #0 compatible shutters, Epsilon, Prontor & Compur (Mount 370), the cells won't fit the Supermatics etc used for the same lenses sold by EKCo in the US.

But perhaps more importantly people aren't realising that Ektar lenses vary enormously in terms of design and quality so some comparisons aren't particularly useful.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Graflexes, Speed Graphics, Crown Graphics.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Signet 35s are so cheap, just buy one and see if you like it. Shutter get loads of criticism, but mine works like a charm.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin