Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,305   Online: 822

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Did Kodak Put It's Ektar Lenses On Anything But the Retinas?

I love the 50 3.5 Ektar lenses on the Kodak Retinas, but I don't love the Retinas. Very fragile and easy to break, and very difficult and expensive to fix. Did Kodak put a similar lens on any of their other 35mm cameras? I know about the little Signet 35 w/ the 44 Ektar. Any others? The Signet may work, but it looks as quirky as a Retina. Since it doesn't fold up it may be less fragile though.
    Last edited by momus; 03-18-2014 at 09:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that the original Hasselblads used Ektar lenses.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ah, I should have stipulated 35mm cameras. Thanks for the info though lxdude, I'll edit my post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They used the name on some point and shoot cameras later. The Medalist, which is a 620 film camera, uses an Ektar. The Ektar was also available as a large format camera lens. And I suspect the Kodak Ektra had one.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Ektar was a brand name that didn't signify anything. It wasn't a lens design.

As I recall, there were Ektars on some point and shoots.

Leafing through my Kodak book, it looks like the only other Ektar for 35mm was on the Ektra. Probably more than you want to pay.

And of course there are the medium format Ektars on the Medalist and Chevron - different designs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually, it does signify something, to me anyway. It signifies excellent optics. Kodak used that designation on only it's best lenses, and I have never been disappointed with any piece of glass that said Ektar on it. I understand it isn't a particular design like Heliar or Tessar.

Yep Mike, the Ektra camera will not be a recent purchase of mine, although I don't doubt that it would make great images. Looks like it will have to be the Signet 35 then. They're dirt cheap too. I'm afraid it will be too small for my hands, but may as well buy one and see.

Shooter
    Large Format
    All my enlarging lenses are Ektars, probably of the Tessar-type design. I'm happy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    All my enlarging lenses are Ektars, probably of the Tessar-type design. I'm happy.
    Ctein {"Post-Exposure" book} rated the Computar DL 55mm 1.9 as the best enlarging lens ever(35mm format}. And the people that designed the Computar said the enlarging Ektars were the only goo d lenses around when they started to design theirs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh, there definitely are Retinas with Ektar lenses.
    But they're only good if the camera hasn't been too mistreated. And they often are

I love Ektars. Especially the 5-element heliar variants used on the Medalist.
    The Ektar on the Signet 35 is the one I had the most trouble getting to grips with, but this was mainly down to an iffy shutter and user-error.

The Signet 35's Synchro Shutter is also pretty limited in my opinion and rather sensitive to dust. The shutters on the retina's certainly are more reliable.
    Last edited by Mr_Flibble; 03-19-2014 at 04:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ektar was used on some of the Bantam cameras, they use 828 which is un-perforated 35mm roll film later repackaged as 126. The Ektars were also used on the better Instamatics.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin