Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,329   Posts: 1,537,176   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    rocket blower, and eclipse solution and pec pads for stubborn specs. Make sure you handle the pec pad carefully to minimize any oils migrating from fingers.

Shooter
    35mm
    What is eclipse solution?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have worked on a good many cameras, particularly Nikkormats and Pentaxes. When a camera comes through these 40 years with every owner scared to clean the mirrors, at this point they need a good cleaning, for the better or worse of it. Air and brushes just don't cut it. So what I do is go at it with Q-tips and Kodak Lens Cleaner, or the like. Use lots of Q-tips rotating them fequently to keep the crud on the mirror from becoming a piece of sand that you are ruining the mirror with as you wipe.. That gets them much cleaner. Then I switch to using plain distilled water, to clean the mess that Lens Cleaning fluid makes.. Before you do all this, brush the mirror to get off as much dust and loose particles as possible. This crap makes your Q-tip into sandpaper, if you don't. By the time it's all over, my mirrors are clean as a whistle and not a single scratch that wasn't already there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    What is eclipse solution?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Cleaning.html

It's just methanol and evaporates quickly without residue.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    This dust won't blow away. I was thinking of using a microfiber cloth or a Q-tip w/distilled water. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Chip
    If the dust is sticky it is probably mirror bumper or light trap foam and it is best to replace the foam first. The film and black paint dust should blower brush off readily.

I've serviced more than one old SLR (just like Tom) with a badly scratched mirror I tell the owner to stop cleaning it... yes one can replace the mirror but I don't offer...

The viewfinder still works ok even if badly scratched but selling it at a premium mission impossible. It like a lens with cleaning marks.

If your SLR has a vertical running metal shutter it might not like bits of old foam bouncing around the mirror box I've been asked to swap shutters from a parts camera after the original shutter turned into metal orgami, owners always deny fat finger problems or mirror covered in goo.

I don't accept cosmetic surgery jobs, hate working with vertical shutters.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the difference between vertically and horizontally running shutters concerning the affect by morsels of foam rubber?

EDIT:
    I guess I got what you mean. It is not the running direction but the construction:
    curtain versus stiff, overlapping elements
    The latter being more prone to sticking due to that sliding overlap.

And the former type runs horizontally, the latter vertically...
    Last edited by AgX; 03-25-2014 at 07:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi AgX

The vertical travel ones don't need much interference to bend the shutter metal or actuating arms, which normally means whole module replacement e.g. a fat finger is bad. They do look pretty when bent...

The horizontal ones even when in metal like the Nikon SP, F, F2 or Canon VI. P, 7, or F normally only need new ribbons as the blinds will still be ok after most failures they will work crinkly, all my Canon P are ok like that.

But even the silk fabric (horizontal) ones wont necessarily ignore bits of sticky rubber.

If your foam is sticky replace promptly or accept possible consequences, like uneven running blind and ruined photo...

Noel

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes. I guess anyone with a few cameras from that period got to know that goo. But even worse than being sticky is that it is corrosive (to aluminium, copper, brass).

So any deterioating foam rubber should be removed as soon as possible, even íf no substitute is at hand, especially morsels on the mirror. A sketch with locations and sizes might come handy.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Confirmed, I need to sketch.

The foam can eat Olympus OM1 pentaprism coating... , you need to lift the top plate and clean.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin