Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,331   Online: 923

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Clean dust from SLR mirror?

This dust won't blow away. I was thinking of using a microfiber cloth or a Q-tip w/distilled water. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Chip

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just cleaned the mirror of a AE-1 with some kind of fuel... dripped on a paper tissue. Went perfectly.

But... the reflecting layer of such first surface mirror most likely is coated for the protection of the metal. And this coating may be affected by cleaning fluids.

The next try after in vain blowing should be use of a very soft brush. Cleaned bevor in fuel to avoid any grease marks.
    You could also use a wooden toothpick as it would affect only that very point at the mirror.

The mirror can stand quite some dust. Haze would be more critical. So one has to weigh the risk of removing some uncritical specks against ruining the whole mirror. So at least make a test at one corner.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-19-2014 at 05:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Q-tip and distilled water is #1 choice.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As long as it's not a pellicle mirror, just clean it with a clean dry white tissue (no scents, no lotion) and some eyeglass cleaner.

First use some compressed air to blow away debris. Spray away from the camera once or twice before blowing the air on the mirror.

Spray the cleaner onto the tissue and wipe off the mirror.

Wipe, turn the tissue, wipe again. I use some long tweezers or forceps for this job.

If you have black gunk stuck to the mirror, that's the foam bumper, which should be replaced. It's also an indication that the foam seals should be replaced. If that is the case here. If you do have black gunk on the mirror, you probably will have to use some lighter fluid to remove it. Then clean the mirror as described above.

The mirror has no role in forming the image on film, so just clean it with the usual amount of care.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom1956 View Post
    Q-tip and distilled water is #1 choice.
    Same here.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exempting cameras using a pellicle, since the mirror has no effect on the formation of a film image don't worry about it or have a professional clean it. Use only air. Never apply any pressure or use any solvents even water. These are first surface mirrors and are very delicate, There is no coating protecting the metal. Any scratches you put in the mirror will be more distracting than any dust.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use one of those cheap lens cleaning kits, the one w/ the little red bottle (mine has lasted 10 years so far!), blower brush and lens papers. Just soak one of the papers (not too much) in the fluid and give it a quick wipe, then another quick wipe w/ a dry paper. Works great. I wonder how mine has managed to last so long? Still perfectly clean water in it too, or whatever the fluid is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A very fine, flat profile artist's sable-haired brush. If it is a benign rear-silvered mirror, hold the camera up to a light shining in the mirror box and use the sable-hair brush to collect dust. Finish with a few light puffs of a blower brush.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use window cleaner on a soft, ultra clean tissue, applied to the tissue (only a drop) and carefully wipe the mirror with the tissue on my finger. Then dry with a dry portion. The thing to watch for is to not even touch that foam bumper that the front of the mirror's edeg touches when taking an exposure and to not EVER touch that fresnel screen just below the prism. If you do, it gets very messy to clean up. - David Lyga

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Nikons user manual says only use a blower brush.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin