Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,446   Online: 831

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011
    Shooter
    35mm
    Well I checked a AE-1 Program.

They probably changed the base plate material when they updated the AE-1 to the AE-1 Program.

The body and lens outfit I picked up is in very nice condition. I probably will load it up and shoot with it, but just not in the conditions where I prefer aperture priority.
    Last edited by fstop; 04-04-2014 at 04:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I understood.
    I just meant to say that I find such change strange without doing construction changes. And the weight benefit is much less than with the upper cap. I'm not even sure whether such change would yield manufacturing benefits in the case of this simple part. A plastic bottom cap would be cheaper as such but also would need additional cost for preperation for galvanizing.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Yes, I understood.
    I just meant to say that I find such change strange without doing construction changes. And the weight benefit is much less than with the upper cap. I'm not even sure whether such change would yield manufacturing benefits in the case of this simple part. A plastic bottom cap would be cheaper as such but also would need additional cost for preperation for galvanizing.
    When you are talking a million units the cost saving to the manufacturer is significant. Brass even back then was a lot more expensive than plastic.Injection molding molds are cheaper in the long haul because there is less wear and maintenance than a stamping die and then subsequent forming die and trim die for a brass base plate. This also requires three steps to make the brass base plate vs one step for injection molding.

Labor is almost always more expensive than raw material,going to a plastic base plate could represent a huge labor savings.

Another consideration is scrap. The cutouts and holes in the brass plate represent scrap material than you do not recover more than 10% of the original cost as raw material.
    Where in injection molding there is no scrap as the finished part is molded with all the holes and openings it needs and the gates, sprues, runners to feed the cavity in the mold are ground up and reintroduced to the plastic used for molding.So there is virtually no scrap in injection molding.

both require about the same prep for chrome plating, with the plastic for a chrome body being even cheaper because it could be vacuum metalized in one step vs copper metalized,buffed and painted black for black bodies.

However a brass base plate in black should have been cheaper than chrome but back then they charged extra for black bodies.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    When you are talking a million units the cost saving to the manufacturer is significant. Brass even back then was a lot more expensive than plastic.Injection molding molds are cheaper in the long haul because there is less wear and maintenance than a stamping die and then subsequent forming die and trim die for a brass base plate. This also requires three steps to make the brass base plate vs one step for injection molding.

Labor is almost always more expensive than raw material,going to a plastic base plate could represent a huge labor savings.

Another consideration is scrap. The cutouts and holes in the brass plate represent scrap material than you do not recover more than 10% of the original cost as raw material.
    Where in injection molding there is no scrap as the finished part is molded with all the holes and openings it needs and the gates, sprues, runners to feed the cavity in the mold are ground up and reintroduced to the plastic used for molding.So there is virtually no scrap in injection molding.

both require about the same prep for chrome plating, with the plastic for a chrome body being even cheaper because it could be vacuum metalized in one step vs copper metalized,buffed and painted black for black bodies.

However a brass base plate in black should have been cheaper than chrome but back then they charged extra for black bodies.
    In the UK Canon A series bodies were £10 more in black, except the A1 of course.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 04-06-2014 at 07:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin