Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,419   Online: 1034

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Each of those cameras has its merits:
    one has mirror-lock, one got choices of AE, one got a nice metering-memory function, two are all metal and so on...
    Last edited by AgX; 03-21-2014 at 03:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I loved my Canon EF when I was affiliated to that make. I called it 'my poor man's F1'. Robustly made, and gave me confidence to get things sharp every time without fear of camera shake even down to 1/30th of a second - BUT. The big drawback was it is so heavy! Even my Nikon F4 or F2a are lighter beasts, or so they seem. However that said, I would use one again, but they are so very rare now it takes a lot of searching to find one that is working and in good condition.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I would go for the FTb or the EF first. They are all great cameras.

Jeff
    Same here, I prefer the EF (larger) handlng and shutter dial that overhangs but the FTBn is very compact and has faster loading and is completely manual too I believe.

I own 1 FTB and 2 EF

Shooter
    35mm
    The FTb has mercury cell metering, so you'll have to have the voltage changed (uneconomical), source different batteries of similar voltage (can be tricky) or use a separate meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    I loved my Canon EF when I was affiliated to that make. I called it 'my poor man's F1'. Robustly made, and gave me confidence to get things sharp every time without fear of camera shake even down to 1/30th of a second - BUT. The big drawback was it is so heavy! Even my Nikon F4 or F2a are lighter beasts, or so they seem. However that said, I would use one again, but they are so very rare now it takes a lot of searching to find one that is working and in good condition.
    If you think the EF is heavy don't buy an F1.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    They sold over a million AE1's,..........
    Actually, they sold over five million AE-1's.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Actually, they sold over five million AE-1's.

Jim B.
    When I went to school, which was admittedly was a long time ago five million was "more than a million"
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    FTbn. Direct competitor to the Nikkormat FT2. Both cameras are pretty much bulletproof. Use the CRIScam MR-9 adapter for the battery power source...

-J
    APUG: F5, F4s, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 35/2 O, 50/1.4 AI, 50/1.8 AF, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would go with the FTbn first then the AE-1 (Program).
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    At times I regret selling my Ftbn. The partial metering patch was so easy to bias one way or another by overlapping shadows and highlights either way. I also enjoyed the quick loading feature, and mirror lockup for flower photography. In the end the hard-ish edged rectangular body with some weight to it (especially with the F1.4 lens) sent me elsewhere for better handhold ability. I still tho have a FTb that needs a cla, and it might ride again with a single lens, but newer lighter bodies and features attracted me more regardless of the plastic fantastic.

Try it first tho.
    W.A. Crider

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin