Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,938   Posts: 1,585,642   Online: 822

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    In the end the hard-ish edged rectangular body with some weight to it (especially with the F1.4 lens) sent me elsewhere for better handhold ability.
    As nice as older metal bodied SLR cameras are, they're an ergonomic nightmare, combining sharp corners, excessive weight, slippery surfaces and a lack of any serious grip. Like you, I like to look at my old SLRs more than I enjoy using them.

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a AE-1 Program and a A-1. Didn't like either. But I do like my F1N and F1.

Most of what I didn't like were personal preference,the AE-1 didn't offer aperture priority and the A-1 aperture priority mode is not easy to use, you have to take you eye away from the view finder to change the aperture setting on the top using the AT dial. The manual override is actually a manual shutter priority option.
    However if shutter priority is the preferred mode for your shooting situation either camera will do a good job.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Canon A1 in my hands at the moment and the lens locked in the A position and the camera set for aperture priority and all I have to do is take first pressure on the shutter release with my right index finger to put the viewfinder display on and turn the wheel on the A/T control with my second finger until the required aperture appears on the L.E.D. display in the viewfinder, at no time did I have to take my eye from the viewfinder.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    At times I regret selling my Ftbn. The partial metering patch was so easy to bias one way or another by overlapping shadows and highlights either way. I also enjoyed the quick loading feature, and mirror lockup for flower photography. In the end the hard-ish edged rectangular body with some weight to it (especially with the F1.4 lens) sent me elsewhere for better handhold ability. I still tho have a FTb that needs a cla, and it might ride again with a single lens, but newer lighter bodies and features attracted me more regardless of the plastic fantastic.

Try it first tho.
    It wasn't only the top and bottom plates of the A series canons that that were "plastic fantastic" Wayne,(actually A.B.S) but unfortunately some of the internal components like cogs and gears are are also plastic or nylon and although it's been about 27 years since they were manufactured and generally they have been remarkably reliable considering since they were made to a price for a mass market and were probably never envisaged to last this long anyway.
    Ben

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The bottom plate of the A cameras is metal.

Plastic, galvanized top caps were not introduced by Canon, bot Pentacon did so even 8 years earlier on their Practica.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The bottom plate of the A cameras is metal.

Plastic, galvanized top caps were not introduced by Canon, bot Pentacon did so even 8 years earlier on their Practica.
    Canon were very clever in disguising that the A series cameras were made from A.B.S. I just looked at my A1 I think you'll find that the inside of the bottom cover plate is A.B.S that has been coated to give it the appearance of metal.
    In keeping with its cost-cutting philosophy, Canon designed the AE-1 to use a significant amount of structural plastic for a lighter and cheaper camera at the expense of being less impact resistant. Canon went to great effort to disguise the use of plastic - the injection-molded acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) top and bottom plates were copper-electroplated and then satin chrome finished (or black enameled) to give the look and feel of metal.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-22-2014 at 05:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have a Canon A1 in my hands at the moment and the lens locked in the A position and the camera set for aperture priority and all I have to do is take first pressure on the shutter release with my right index finger to put the viewfinder display on and turn the wheel on the A/T control with my second finger until the required aperture appears on the L.E.D. display in the viewfinder, at no time did I have to take my eye from the viewfinder.

No need to to get defensive I didn't say it was a plastic toy on top of it.

Its no where near as convenient nor intuitive as Minolta's or Nikon's aperture priority modes where you can keep a firm grasp on the body while having a finger on the shutter release and simply twist the lens aperture ring.

The A-1 also has a cloth shutter vs Minoltas XD-11 or Nikons FE or FA metal shutter and lower speeds than the FA and FE2.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post

No need to to get defensive I didn't say it was a plastic toy on top of it.

Its no where near as convenient nor intuitive as Minolta's or Nikon's aperture priority modes where you can keep a firm grasp on the body while having a finger on the shutter release and simply twist the lens aperture ring.

The A-1 also has a cloth shutter vs Minoltas XD-11 or Nikons FE or FA metal shutter and lower speeds than the FA and FE2.
    It's initiative to me, but I've been using mine for nearly 25 years but I must admit I've never liked it as much as my New F1-AE' s which are much more robust and workmanlike. Leicas have the same sort of rubberized silk shutter as the.A series Canon's and I have never had any problems with mine.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-22-2014 at 10:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes I agree on the New F-1. I have a AE power winder FN on mine as well as the AE finder FN and a 50mm 1.4 lens. Canon lenses are decent and not very expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the old F-1 which is robust also. All the FD lenses are very good.

Jeff

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin