Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,879   Online: 1090

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Canon were very clever in disguising that the A series cameras were made from A.B.S. I just looked at my A1 I think you'll find that the inside of the bottom cover plate is A.B.S that has been coated to give it the appearance of metal.
    I got no A-1 at at hand, but the bottom plates of my AE-1s are from brass. Strange that the A-1 is differrent.

The A cameras were not "made from ABS". They got a sturdy frame of metal (zink, aluminium?).

I just aquired a AE-1 that had survived at leat two falls, one slightly bending the brass bottom cap, but actually died due to just one grain of sand in the bayonet and a just bit of dust of sand at the accessory metering button, arresting both.
    Last edited by AgX; 03-23-2014 at 06:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    My impression was the A-Series had brass painted coating under the black plastic surface. When it wears the surface appears to be 'brassed' but is plastic. I'm open to correction on that, and have no prejudice for either material.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My AE-1s definitely got chromed brass bottom-plates and chromed plastic top- and front-covers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    My AE-1s definitely got chromed brass bottom-plates and chromed plastic top- and front-covers.
    Wikipedia
    The frame was Aluminium, " but Canon went to great effort to disguise the use of plastic - the injection-molded acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) top and bottom plates were copper-electroplated and then satin chrome finished (or black enameled) to give the look and feel of metal ".
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The top plate of Nikon FA is coppered plastic as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me, the Canon AE-1 marks the point where, aside from a few brands' pro level models, 35mm cameras went down the tube. But that's just me, an old traditionalist fuddyduddy.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Wikipedia
    The frame was Aluminium, " but Canon went to great effort to disguise the use of plastic - the injection-molded acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) top and bottom plates were copper-electroplated and then satin chrome finished (or black enameled) to give the look and feel of metal ".
    Looking at Wikipedia is one thing, disassembling a camera, and testing parts on materials is another. In case of doubt I would not trust Wikipedia. Another explanation would be that Canon changed materials.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Looking at Wikipedia is one thing, disassembling a camera, and testing parts on materials is another. In case of doubt I would not trust Wikipedia. Another explanation would be that Canon changed materials.

Go argue with the factory service manual its right here in black and white.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	84987
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What does "apron" mean?
    What camera manual you got?

Maybe I got the "Blue Mauritius" AE-1s, the only known samples with brass bottom. Any offers?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To my understanding "Apron" refers to the front cover, at front of the mirror box, and that is chromed plastic too at the AE-1 as I stated before.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin