Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,536   Online: 1017

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    It doesn't have to be impact damage, a large heavy lens mounted on a body exerts a force on the body which tries to bend the mount downward from the body.Mount the body on a tripod now you have more potential for flex/misalignment in the body.
    Sure, but all-plastic entry level SLRs are usually matched with lightweight AF lenses. I find such a combination one of the least damage prone, and I use them a lot because I'm too lazy/sensible to carry my professional cameras unless there's a very good reason. They function more like point and shoot cameras with a mirror box, than 'serious' cameras, something I'm grateful for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find the A1 a very pleasant lightweight to shoot with and it's been very reliable considering I bought it second hand more than 25 years ago, I have had it C.L.A'd once, although I admit I've never really liked it I tend to use it as a lightweight walkaround camera or in situations that could potentially cause damage to my other cameras, because if it got trashed I could live with it, and the shutter priority AE is sometimes handy because to get shutter priority on my New F1's I have to have my AE motor drive FN fitted to the camera which uses 12 AA batteries combined with New F1 that's no lightweight the weight is considerable, and not what I want to walk around with on a casual basis.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-26-2014 at 01:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    ,the AE-1 didn't offer aperture priority
    Technically, it doesn't, but if you look through the viewfinder, as you roll the shutter dial, what is displayed, is the f/stop in the LED display. I find it works just liked aperture priority if I think of it that way.

And to answer the OP's original question - I would shoot the AE-1P everyday before any of the others listed, (I am biased, I have been shooting an AE-1P since 1983. Before that, an AE-1).

The A-1 and it's miniscule shutter/aperture dial is my biggest gripe on what is otherwise a nice camera. The earlier cameras are just flat awkward to use for my style of shooting.
    --
    David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Goldstein View Post
    Technically, it doesn't, but if you look through the viewfinder, as you roll the shutter dial, what is displayed, is the f/stop in the LED display. I find it works just liked aperture priority if I think of it that way.

And to answer the OP's original question - I would shoot the AE-1P everyday before any of the others listed, (I am biased, I have been shooting an AE-1P since 1983. Before that, an AE-1).

The A-1 and it's miniscule shutter/aperture dial is my biggest gripe on what is otherwise a nice camera. The earlier cameras are just flat awkward to use for my style of shooting.
    You get used to the command dial, I press the shutter relese gently to get the display on with my index finger and turn the.dial with my second finger.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Although I own an A-1, I rarely use it for the reasons stated. It was the beginning of the reassignment of dials to other purposes, which ended in the madness of the modern DSLR. Why, for instance, allocate the choice of aperture to a little wheel, when there's a perfectly positioned, large and indexed dial around the lens. Because they could, is the real answer. There's pretty much nothing the A-1 does better than other cameras, and plenty it turns into a fussy, ergonomic mess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Although I own an A-1, I rarely use it for the reasons stated. It was the beginning of the reassignment of dials to other purposes, which ended in the madness of the modern DSLR. Why, for instance, allocate the choice of aperture to a little wheel, when there's a perfectly positioned, large and indexed dial around the lens. Because they could, is the real answer. There's pretty much nothing the A-1 does better than other cameras, and plenty it turns into a fussy, ergonomic mess.
    I agree with you to large extent and admit that the A1 isn't my favourite camera but since I have it and they're worth so little now on the open market it's not worth the trouble of selling it, I too do use it occasionally.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    I want to like my A1, it was given to me by my dad in 1980's, but I just cant seem to like using it. I like that it has aperture priority, but its so weird to use. Mine needs a CLA, but its hard to want to spend that money on repairing it.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    I agree,however, if you like a smaller body than the F-1 and shoot either in shutter priority or program mode the A-1 do that well
    trythis

I want to like my A1, it was given to me by my dad in 1980's, but I just cant seem to like using it. I like that it has aperture priority, but its so weird to use. Mine needs a CLA, but its hard to want to spend that money on repairing it.
    That is a big dilemma. Sentimental resasons aside, by time you find a competent repairman and ship it back and forth and cover the repair cost you could buy a better one for less. Around 120 from KEH for an EX unit.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    35mm
    As with so many film cameras, my view of them has mellowed over the years, and while can't say I actually enjoy using the A-1, I appreciate its role in photographic history, especially the Program mode. A friend had one when they were first released, and coming from a match needle manual SLR, he never got on with the A-1 and openly regretted buying it. It seemed gratuitously quirky to me, and those quirks got in the way of taking photographs rather than aiding it.

I have nearly all the Canons of the 70s and 80s, and the ones I use most are the AV-1, the AT-1 and the T90, cameras at opposite ends of the technological spectrum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think I have ever used my A1 in programme mode, mainly A and T modes. Considering that the A series Canon's for a relatively cheap consumer grade series of cameras were a stroke of genious from Canon, because by useing modern automated manufacturing techniques they were able to capture the market with cameras that were capable at a price the public could afford that has proved over time on the whole to be pretty reliable.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin