Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,519   Online: 849

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, but I still see the Canon ae1 as the Big Mac of cameras.

Billions sold, but quantity is such a superficial criteria. Is the big mac a really good burger?

I was a Nikon guy, so forgive my bias.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Sorry, but I still see the Canon ae1 as the Big Mac of cameras.

Billions sold, but quantity is such a superficial criteria. Is the big mac a really good burger?

I was a Nikon guy, so forgive my bias.
    Have you ever heard of the Nikon EM ?, Big Mac, that's exactly what the A series Canons were a money spinner at a very difficult time for the company which probably saved it, and enabled them to recoup some of the enormous 10 year R&D costs of their flagship New F1 because if the industry in general had to rely on the tiny proportion the comparative sales of professional cameras are to the "Big Mac" cameras that they manufacture, they would have all gone bust years ago.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 03-28-2014 at 11:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    People forget the impact Canon A-series cameras had on 35mm photography back in the 1970's and 1980's. The AE-1 was a revolutionary camera, not so much for its features, but for it's assembly techniques. Having a mini-computer control the timing of the shutter/mirror/aperture stop-down mechanisms, allowed Canon to eliminate about 1/3rd of production costs from a camera. Before the AE-1, these functions were all done mechanically, which necessitated a lot of hand adjustments (expensive!).

Actually, Canon just beat everybody to the punch. If they hadn't introduced the A-series high-tech materials/assembly techniques in 1976, somebody else would have done so a few year later. The fact is that the cost of labor in Japan rose by about 35% over a few years in the mid-1970's, making the old-fashioned way of assembling camera just too expensive. Canon just got there first.

All this being said, I, personally, don't like the A-series cameras. Too plasticky for my tastes. I much prefer my old F-1 and FP.

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think that the Canon EF, Pentax ES, and Minolta XK all predate the canon ae1 with electronic timing.

http://minolta.eazypix.de/slrtable/

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The AE-1 was the first camera with digitized controls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The AE-1 was the first camera with digitized controls.
    Maybe THAT explains why I don't like it!

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    People forget the impact Canon A-series cameras had on 35mm photography back in the 1970's and 1980's. The AE-1 was a revolutionary camera, not so much for its features, but for it's assembly techniques. Having a mini-computer control the timing of the shutter/mirror/aperture stop-down mechanisms, allowed Canon to eliminate about 1/3rd of production costs from a camera. Before the AE-1, these functions were all done mechanically, which necessitated a lot of hand adjustments (expensive!).

Actually, Canon just beat everybody to the punch. If they hadn't introduced the A-series high-tech materials/assembly techniques in 1976, somebody else would have done so a few year later. The fact is that the cost of labor in Japan rose by about 35% over a few years in the mid-1970's, making the old-fashioned way of assembling camera just too expensive. Canon just got there first.

All this being said, I, personally, don't like the A-series cameras. Too plasticky for my tastes. I much prefer my old F-1 and FP.

Jim B.
    Which is why Miranda, Petri, Kowa and Topcon are no longer with us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like I said, I'm a Nikon guy, but I do like my Canon FTb, EF, and F1n.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Like I said, I'm a Nikon guy, but I do like my Canon FTb, EF, and F1n.
    I like my EF too it's a much better camera than any of the A series ones, and the vertical running Copal Square shutter is made out of pure Platinum, but it was much more expensive, almost as much as the F1 when they were both current.
    Ben

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    ...and the vertical running Copal Square shutter is made out of pure Platinum,...
    Very unlikely for several reasons: softness, spec density, price etc.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin