Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,906   Posts: 1,521,423   Online: 1066

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Which Canon FD mount SLR to test first?

If you had these Canon FD mount cameras and never used any of them (I've been shooting with my Elan 7E/EOS 30 till now), which one would you take out for a walk first (with FD 1,4/50)?
    Canon FTb-N
    Canon EF
    Canon A-1
    Canon AE-1 Program

Best regards,
    Per-C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Per-C,

welcome to Apug ! I tried A-1 and it was nice camera, but on the end I end up with T90, which is terrific camera. I think all of them are nice cameras - it is question of manual vs. automatic control of shutter, aperture ... but all of them can produce nice results.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The all are family... So feel" would not be that different.
    The A-1 has an unpleasantly located metering memory button as we recently discussed in another thread.

Just because they are similar in feel I rather would put them all on a table first and look for differences: focusing aids, controls, exposure automation etc.

Then decide what would be of most importance to you, and take that for a walk.
    (I myself am bad on decicisionmaking...)

Shooter
    35mm
    Ftbn. Then the EF.
    Ae-1
    Last a-1.
    I like the ftbn/ef ergonomics better than the ae1 and a1.
    A1 offers aperture priority which is a nice option.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for your replies, guys!

I have shot mostly digital with a 5D mark III, occationally as I wrote above with the EOS 30. Of course with the same EF lenses. I felt a need to revive my photography hobby and decided to explore Canon's FD system and use film more. Suddenly I had five FD mount cameras (two FTbn's) and a 28mm and 50mm (both 1.4 and 1.8). I'm leaning towards trying out the EF first. Regardsless, I think I'll have a lot of fun in near future :-).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own an AE1 and love it. It has a great feel to it (imo). So naturally I'd suggest that

The FTb has a reputation as a really great camera. To be honest, that's the one I'd play with first.

Trythis, the AE-1 has aperture priority as well. with prices what they are these days, I can't see a reason to chose using an A-1 over an AE-1.

Shooter
    35mm
    Of the ones you list I do not have the AE-1 Program. I would use the FTbN first. The FTbN gives you 12 degree metering, mirror lock-up, a depth of field preview lever, Quick Loading and a fairly quiet shutter. Most of these are found with the plain microprism focusing screen but some have the combination splt image/microprism aid. The EF has center weighted metering and is also found with both types of focusing screens. It is not as convenient to use in manual mode but has a faster responding silicon blue meter cell. The flash synch speed is faster but there is no Quick Loading and not all of the shutter speeds work without batteries. Both cameras use Canon's rectangular diopter attachments. The EF, of course, has shutter priority automation. You need to either have the meter adjusted on the FTbN for use with alkaline 1.5 volt batteries or you can use an MR-9 adapter or just put in 675 1.4 volt znc-air hearing aid betteries. The battery cahmber's spring will hold the zinc-ar battery in place. The EF takes two A625 1.5volt cells and adjusts their voltage. The A-1 doesn't suit everyone. It has center weighted metering and many exposure modes but is not handy to use in manual mode and is especially annoying to use if you like to preview your depth of field. It does allow the use of motorized film advance. The AE-1 Program has user interchangeable focusing screens while the A-1 has factory interchangeable focusing screens (if you can find any of them). I enjoy using an FTb or FTbN or EF if I am not using an F-1, F-1n or F-1N. I am not looking at my A-1 now but I think it also takes the rectangular eyepiece accessories.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Id take two bodies and two lenses The EF and any of the others.
    Just in case you had a problem with cassette or camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The EF, along with the T90, are Canon's two best manual focus SLRs, I think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would go for the FTb or the EF first. They are all great cameras.

Jeff

Page 1 of 11 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin