Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,545   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have a Contessa and it's an excellent camera! It's Tessar is one of he sharpest lenses I've ever used.

Have you looked at getting a Contaflex instead? It's uses a similar, if not the same, Tessar lens. It's an SLR, so you wouldn't have to fiddle with RF focusing and it has a bigger viewfinder. They come up for sale a lot more frequently, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just got a Contaflex, too. I like it more than the Contessa.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've owned maybe a dozen of these at one time or another.

These use the rotating-wedge rangefinder, which is very accurate and shouldn't fall out of calibration unless the camera is damaged.

The intermediate camera is the folding Contina II with the uncoupled rangefinder. This was my introduction to Zeiss Ikon. Mine had a Novar. I eventually bought one (and a number of others) with the Tessar, which is the same lens as on the folding Contessa and the Contaflex I and II.

The folding Contessa always has a Tessar. The early version has a Compur Rapid shutter. The second version has a Synchro Compur. It never used the EV system.

The folding Contessa is a well thought-out camera. It's very easy to use, which is typical of the Hubert Nerwin (the Zeiss Ikon camera designer) approach.

There are many of these on the used market, and I wouldn't buy one that shows physical damage.

I've shot with this quite a bit.

Here's my mini-review of the folding Contessa.

And here's a little shootout I did with the Contessa and the Contarex. The Contessa was no slouch.
    Last edited by elekm; 03-26-2014 at 03:59 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: My Web host seems to be OK now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Contessa that used to belong to a distant cousin. It is a bit worse for wear, and has fungus, but I've still taken some good pictures with it. I like it very much, and have to try to clean the lens sometime.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I went ahead and bought one---untested from eBay, but the price was right---and I've just finished developing my smoke-test roll. Based on eyeballing the negatives, things look good.

What a fun little camera to use! It is quite a bit bulkier than the Ikonta 35, still pocketable but requiring a much larger pocket. The viewfinder is rather nice for the era, though I guess it would be considered squinty now. The little cyclopean rangefinder prism makes me giggle a bit every time I look at it, and the ergonomics of the body are really nice on the whole, especially considering the tight space into which they have to fit. The only thing I've had to get used to is the cocking lever, which is reversed from what I'm used to (push to the left to cock, rather than pull to the right) and kind of crammed up against the shutter release.

I got lucky and even the slow shutter speeds work, although I don't know how often I'll really use them; if I'm carrying a tripod, I might as well be carrying a bigger camera, but it's nice to know that in a pinch I can rest the camera on a rock for a longer exposure.

Suddenly I can see how people turn into photographic-history geeks. I can really see how this camera bridges some of the design space between the Ikonta 35 and the Contaxen, and it makes me want to run out and find a Tenax and a Super Nettel, not because I need them but to complete the evolutionary family. I suppose that would be a bad idea from a marital standpoint...?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin