Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,966   Online: 983

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't waste my time reading articles like that.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Go out and make your own pictures with a lens, then decide. Or else just make pictures and adapt your vision to what the lens can do well, and forget about what a given pixel or film grain looks like.
    Absolutely correct. Each lens has its own character and way of resolving reality. Go with it and the lens will reward you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    Absolutely correct. Each lens has its own character and way of resolving reality. Go with it and the lens will reward you.
    Yeah... I wish more would echo the fact that, with a few exceptions, any modern camera system with a modern prime lens is going to be sharp enough and give good results. The man behind the camera is the most important part of the equation.

Just like in music-- B B King will sound fantastic whether he's playing a crappy Harmony guitar or a vintage Gibson. Yes, the Gibson would sound better, but it would take a hell of an ear to tell the difference. He would sound better on that crappy guitar, and almost anyone else playing the vintage Gibson.

Basically, cameras and lenses are just tools. Use whatever allows you to achieve the result you're looking for with the most transparency and stop worrying about tiny little details that won't even be noticed by 99% of the consumers.

I spent way too much time and money worrying about lenses, sharpness, and covering every focal length. For the most part, money is better spent on film, paper, and chemistry, and time is better spent taking photos or working in the darkroom.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I don't talk rubbish about lenses, I believe that the majority of lenses are better lenses than the majority of people are photographers, and what you point your lenses at is more important than it's absolute optical quality.
    The instructor of the photography course I took 40 years ago offered some good advice.

Composition is everything thing.
    You can make award winning photographs with an Instamatic and take a pile of garbage with a top of the line SLR.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We all know that lens tests can be a bit boring at times, but I do admit that I liked this one...good light reading and a useful real world test of those lenses. Any good journalist know that you need a good lead in line, nothing wrong with that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I agree with all that's said above, more or less, but I'm not sure a set of modern SLR primes from the same manufacturer is the best place to make such comparisons. I'm certainly not an expert on these newfangled SLR thingummies, but aren't those lenses likely to represent variations on a common basic design, rather than entirely different designs as one might see in the rangefinder world? (To say nothing of large format, but I realize we're in the 35mm forum here.)

-NT
    The 50mm f1.8 Zuiko Auto-S is 6 elements in 5 Groups and was first introduced in 1974.

The 50mm f2.0 Zuiko Auto-Macro is 9 elements in 7 groups and was from approximately 1982.

As far as 50mm lenses go, these are radically different designs, IMO.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just try to avoid lens bores the way I also avoid self styled "photographic artists".
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    "The author typically goes for shock value. Ignore him".

It is I who is disappointed....I was hoping for some Ken Rockwell rage! Turns out it's the other guy.

Actually I like Ken. I'd probably enjoy having a beer with him. But then I'd enjoy having a beer with anyone who is buying. I do generally ignore him. Funny guy though, not so much the online photographer.

Some of my favorite photographs that I have taken over the years was with a lens that is deemed a mediocre lens with as many weeknesses as strengths according to the experts.It is my favorite lens over 25 years and has a feel to it ergonomically that I like.Also..it probably is the right match for its owner,who also has been deemed a mediocre performer with as many weaknesses as strengths.This entire book was shot with it.

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Find any hobby which requires cool equipment, and you can find people to bullsh*t about it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin