Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,518   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it just me or are we getting more of these kinds of threads in the last couple of years? I cannot recall much, if any, of this when I first joined APUG back in 2005.

We just didn't seem to be so concerned with what the future held for us.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We just didn't seem to be so concerned with what the future held for us.
    I think it is more a realisation that most images these days are transient and exist for only as long as they are on someones pc, phone or facebook or whatever, and that unless some people take a long view, in 100 years time most of what is shot today will have been lost decades before. In the past, when everything was printed, the question of longevity wasn't really considered, as most people already had access to photos from previous generations, and people just accepted that photos had an almost indefinite life. Now people are thinking about archiving for the future, the issue of "what is the best archival method" is part of this deliberate thought process.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Grenet View Post
    Also, [lfochrome] isn't on paper but on polyester.
    There was indeed Ilfochrome coated on PE-paper base. Though it most likely was not the typical Ilfochrome material one thinks of in hindsight.

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We need a Dead Horse subforum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    digital images uploaded to the internet are indexed nearly immediately and will last forever.
    physical images ..
    well no one knows, the interweb is the image of the future anyways ..
    tangible, is so old timey ..
    Think so?

Go ask those true believers who converted their life savings into bitcoin. They might have a slightly different take than you on the meaning of "forever".

And "tangible".

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Think so?

Go ask those true believers who converted their life savings into bitcoin. They might have a slightly different take than you on the meaning of "forever".

Ken
    Now you tell me Ken How expensive will it be to get to the top of the Empire State building?

pentaxuser

P.S. I will be with-holding your Wall Street fee before I jump

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    How expensive will it be to get to the top of the Empire State building?

P.S. I will be with-holding your Wall Street fee before I jump
    What did the person who jumped off the Empire State Building say to the fellow standing inside the open 50th floor window?

"So far, so good..."

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    We need a Dead Horse subforum.
    +1

Jeff

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    As the saying goes, a little bit of knowledge is dangerous - or in this case, misleading. This is a big subject, and not likely to be realistically
    answered generically. People spend entire careers trying to figure out the permanence issue. There are an awful lot of, "it depends".....
    The first thing one needs to learn is the distinction between marketing hype based upon extremely brief "accelerated" fading tests, and a real
    world track record which requires real time. Anyone who goes around predicting how many centuries some media will last is, frankly, a snake
    oil salesman.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm quite certain that analog color prints will outlast a dead horse. Digital color? Who knows. Very doubtful.
    I shoot digital when I have to (most of those shots end up here) and film (occasionally one of those shots ends up here) when I want to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin