Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,807   Online: 1004

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm
    Of course I haven't called myself a video expert and don't pretend to be one. Encoding formats vary from place to place and I have never heard of a library which has instructions for every one which is used on planet earth. What about my guy who transfers video to DVDs? He is a professional and he admits that some artifacts have formats which he cannot access. We might come up with a universal translator, but none exists at the moment.

As far as the 1's and 0's lasting for a thousand years, this can only take place if copies are made. I concede that the copy can preserve one hundred per cent of the information contained in the code.

But what if no copy is made? Many DVD's use dyes--such as methylene blue--to record the information they hold. These kind of chemicals can degrade completely within a human lifetime. Flashdrives are vulnerable to static electricity. Hard drives are vulnerable to magnetic fields. I wouldn't guarantee any digital image preserved only in code to be accessible in twenty years. But I am very glad to learn more on this subject and hope to be informed.

Shooter
    35mm
    A crack in the CD coating will let air into the metal signal base, corroding it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chip j View Post
    A crack in the CD coating will let air into the metal signal base, corroding it.
    THat was 'CD rot' that could occur with some very early audio CDs. The Gold CDs were designed to eliminate this problem.

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh, Thanks, Chip.

Shooter
    35mm

ten

Moses had the Ten Commandments on stone and how long did they last?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    The stone or adherence to the sentiments?

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I strive to take photographs that allow me to be concerned about permanence. We'll get there yet...............

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    THEY WILL BOTH OUTLAST ME.
    +1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Even those weren't archival:

Shooter
    35mm
    First of all, digital and analog are not storage or print mediums. That is loose thinking. Second, "gold super duper" optical disk has been in my painful personal experience less reliable than negatives. Third, choosing a print media based on longevity is, I suppose, a fine choice if you are preserving some anthropologically significant piece of culture. I have no illusions that my work will be of any significance in the future, and if by some bizarre twist it is it, will last far longer in it's current form than it needs to in order to be curated and preserved. The whole idea reminds me of a couple of guys arguing over how to split up the millions that a new half baked scheme is going to make them in the future. To my mind the whole chest pounding hooting SALES PITCH about "archivability" (pretty sure that's not a word) is as some guy once said, a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Since it's up, that's my 2 cents, YMMV and some will disagree. Oh, and digi vs analog is not something we really do here, so I need to close the thread, and put myself on my own ignore list.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 04-08-2014 at 11:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin