Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,654   Posts: 1,481,369   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikkormat?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikkormat?

Someone have me this kit. A Nikkormat 35mm with a 55 3.5 and a 135 2.8. Everything has original boxes, and original plastic lens bubbles. There's also a roll if 1981 Kidachrome.

Aside from the film, what's all this worth? I've heard of Nikkormat but not used them. Are they Nikon knockoffs or what?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396733807.467561.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	274.0 KB 
ID:	85670

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396733817.054322.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	85671

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396733827.535530.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	267.0 KB 
ID:	85672

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually Nikkormats were the prosumer camera of their day for Nikon, aimed at those who want to shoot with Nikkor glass but couldn't afford a Nikon F. They are sturdy cameras, as for current market value, I would look at KEH and Ebay to come up with a market value, I'll be honest, they are not expensive.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not expensive, but they are reliable workhorses, and they take nikkor lenses.
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Terrific camera. The best ever.
    Klaatu barada nikto

Shooter
    35mm

Nikkormat

When I toiled for one of the world's largest photo services in the 1960s I used the legendary Nikon F with motor drive. It was a great camera but heavy as a bear. The Nikkormat was the perfect second body. For one thing it had a built-in light meter but cost less for the body than a light meter prism alone for the Nikon F. The 'Mat is rugged as the devil. When I was shooting with autofocus cameras in the 1990s I would use my old Nikkormat with non-autofocus lenses when I had to take photos in terrible wind and rain storms. The Nikkormat never let me down. It is a bit heavy by today's standard but delivers the goods. I still have mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't wait to try that 135mm 2.8!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    When I toiled for one of the world's largest photo services in the 1960s I used the legendary Nikon F with motor drive. It was a great camera but heavy as a bear. The Nikkormat was the perfect second body. For one thing it had a built-in light meter but cost less for the body than a light meter prism alone for the Nikon F. The 'Mat is rugged as the devil. When I was shooting with autofocus cameras in the 1990s I would use my old Nikkormat with non-autofocus lenses when I had to take photos in terrible wind and rain storms. The Nikkormat never let me down. It is a bit heavy by today's standard but delivers the goods. I still have mine.

I didn't even notice the meter in this one! I'll have to go check it out. I hope it still works.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Go get a 357 silver battery and make a little paper doughnut collar. The modern 625 batteries have a very bad discharge curve, as they are alkaline and not the original 1.35V mercury. Now that modern batteries will all be 1.55V, the meter tends to cause underexposure.
    Klaatu barada nikto

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There were a few versions over time. Yours looks to be a FT or FTn as I see the pre-AI ring. The (later) FT2s use currently available 357 batteries. The older ones use the now extinct 1.35v 625 battery (as Tom1956 mentioned). A #9 o-ring works well around the 357 battery. Or use that same o-ring around a 675 zinc air battery for a constant 1.4v until the battery dies.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikkormats put the shutter speed control where it belongs!

(how can you tell that my primary 35mm system is Olympus?)

You may find that the micro Nikkor 55mm lens becomes one of your favourites - especially if close focus work is new to you.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin