Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,667   Online: 869

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FG-7

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I wonder why? What possible advantage would this offer? What disadvantages are there to letting it go or? Just wondering.
    It's probably on the level of "If we release it, we can't possibly make money off of it ever again. If we sell it to an individual, we'll never get what it's worth. So we'll hold on to it in the hopes that someday we might again make money off of it". Either that, or they have some proprietary chemical compounds in it that they still use in other products that they don't want to reveal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FG-7 can probably trace its origin to Champlin 17 which does not appear in Chamlin's book but appeared somewhat later in Minicam magazine in 1940. Dr Lowe of Edwal was not above borrowing formulas. The formula is very simple BUT one of the two developing agents chlorhydroquinone is no longer available.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks,,all. Chip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I looked at the MSDS for FG-7 and at one time Edwal was getting around the lack of availability of chlorhydroquinone by making it in situ by reacting p-benzoquinone (a particularly nasty chemical) with hydrochloric acid. So the original developer can still be made.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 04-10-2014 at 07:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    FG-7 was one of the most versatile developers. Whether I used it 1:15 with water for slower films or 1:15 with 9% Sodum Sulfite solution for faster films I always got good results. My favorte combination was 1:15 with water with Panatomic-X rated at 64. Grain and sharpness were very good and it had a slight compensating effect too. Apart from these qualities, it had very good shelf life. Edwal ruined the good keeping quality by switching from a dark brown glass bottle to a white nearly translucent plastic bottle. The biggest difference between using it in the early 1970s and using it more recently is that the faster flms are much better. Many developers sold in plastic bottles had keeping problems. These included the many Paterson formulas, the imitation Rodinals and the house brand concentrates. HC-110 is an exception. Even in its plastic bottle it lasts quite a while and PC-TEA also lasts a long time. The current Tri-X, developed in D-76 1:1 gives much better results than Tri-X from the early 1970s developed in FG-7 1:15 with 9% sodium sulfite solution. You can get results which are similar to what FG-7 gave by using Ilford Microphen 1:1, Ilford DD-X, Kodak X-tol, Clayton F60 or any other phenidone based developer. If you want to make up your own stock, PC-TEA will also give similar results at 1:50 and will last a long time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They made some big claims! I used and liked it back in the day. I thought it could be a bit mushy with the SS but never experimented with varying the quantity. Good shadow detail and I believed it added some usable speed and retained good tonality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fg7.JPG  
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Offer still good?
    Get it right in the camera, the first time...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin