Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,111   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Sub 35mm

Nikon Fe shutter problems

Hi all. Just purchased a non-working FE --shutter doesn't work nor does the film advance lever move.Also mirror is in the up position but is not stuck from bad foam.I was doing some research online and came across this site so decided to join the group. I know these problems are common --thanks to suggestions posted here I already checked the actuating cam under the bottom cover, not the problem. Someone else posted it could be the motor drive release pin is stuck --needs to be freedunderthetopcover. My question is this --the release pin beside the drive on the bottom cover --should it be depressed in the normal state??(pushed in or fairly flush with the case?) Mine is pushed in so I'm not sure if this is proper. I don't want to tear the top apart if I shouldn't have to. M90 doesn't work but I am going to buy fresh batteries tomorrow --I tried the working ones out of my EM but still can't get the battery light to recognize them. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks so much, Evan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and welcome to APUG.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Have you tried putting it in the manual shutter speed (M90) setting that doesnt require batteries?

This should probably been posted in the repair section, but its such a huge forum, no one will blame you for not knowing that.

Welcome, BTW.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by harvey.evan View Post
    Hi all. Just purchased a non-working FE --shutter doesn't work nor does the film advance lever move.Also mirror is in the up position but is not stuck from bad foam.I was doing some research online and came across this site so decided to join the group. I know these problems are common --thanks to suggestions posted here I already checked the actuating cam under the bottom cover, not the problem. Someone else posted it could be the motor drive release pin is stuck --needs to be freedunderthetopcover. My question is this --the release pin beside the drive on the bottom cover --should it be depressed in the normal state??(pushed in or fairly flush with the case?) Mine is pushed in so I'm not sure if this is proper. I don't want to tear the top apart if I shouldn't have to. M90 doesn't work but I am going to buy fresh batteries tomorrow --I tried the working ones out of my EM but still can't get the battery light to recognize them. Any help on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks so much, Evan
    The exposure logic sequence can stall for the most minor problem you need to detect if the shutter has fired or waiting to fire or open...
    If the mirror is up and iris is stopped down you are mid sequence but before or after shutter run?
    Don't have a FE to help with release pin but it may have been pushed in after the stall.
    Ditto battery light

Shooter
    35mm
    By the release pin, do you mean the rewind button? If so, it should not be depressed in the normal state. You push it in, and it stays that way until the film is rewound. It must come out again at the next stroke of the wind on lever. It is in a recess on the bottom and has about 1-2mm travel when depressed.
    Alex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you mean by "release pin" the button for rewinding the film, no, it wouldn't be pushed in if the camera is working normally. It disengages the film winding sprocket so film can be rewound. I wouldn't be surprised if someone pushed that in in an effort to unjam the camera. I'm not sure that getting it to pop back up will clear up the jam, though.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Merritt View Post
    If you mean by "release pin" the button for rewinding the film, no, it wouldn't be pushed in if the camera is working normally. It disengages the film winding sprocket so film can be rewound. I wouldn't be surprised if someone pushed that in in an effort to unjam the camera. I'm not sure that getting it to pop back up will clear up the jam, though.
    I think the motor drive fires the shutter mechanically via a button on the base plate close to thr rewind latch button.
    But some one needs to post a photo of the shutter mechanism in the fired state so the op knows more exactly where the freeze had occurred.
    We need some one with a FE and camphone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's needed even more is for the OP to post a pic of the camera being discussed.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have now looked at the bottom of my FE and see the pin the motor drive actuates. It is not flush with the base, but not far off it. It is recessed by 1mm or less. When pushed with the tip of a ball pen, it depresses and fires the shutter, like a cable release.
    Alex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That description is "normal".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin