Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,452   Online: 943

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Petzval lens in 35 mm

Hi Friends,

Apart from the lomography Petzval lens, is there any Petzval lens that can be used for portrature in 35mm or 645 medium format cameras.
    I have a Nikon FM2 and has been contemplating the idea of using a Petzval lens for portrature work .
    Please let me know if I can get one to use with my Nikon FM2.

Regards,
    Abhishek

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By work, you mean with a sharp center and swirls at the edge?
    Something from a small (16mm) projector may work.

Most Petzvals meant for pictoral use were intended for larger formats with the sharp area covering the whole image area, or at least, most of it.

I have a projection Petzval that's relatively short, but covers 4x5 with lots of swirl, but on a 6x6 the sharp area is almost the entire image area, so the swirly's aren't visible.

That problem would be even more acute on a 35.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not come across any small gauge cine or slide projection Petzval lens so far. They seem not common at least. Otherwise I guess we might have seen a lot of 35mm Petzval photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure if it's a true Petval, but if you want swirlies then check out an 85/1.5 Helios lens for about $3-500, or its apertureless cousin the Cyclop for $1-200.
    (Here and here are a random few images I found with a quick google, I've made better images than the first link though)
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a Gauss type. And the swirly effect seems different from that of a Petzval lens.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin