Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,082   Online: 791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Domke Debate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Domke Debate

Hello everyone. It's been a while, and I'm getting back into the swing of things. As usual, I'm falling back on the collective for some advice.

I'm thinking of getting a Domke F1x or an F7. I am trying to fit the following (with relative ease of use)

Nikon F6 w/ motor Drive and lens attached
    assorted 2nd body, also with motor drive
    20mm 2.8 AF
    180 2.8 AI
    105 2.5 AI'd
    50mm 1.4 ai'd

and with room for a 2nd smallish lens for creative use, or a speedlight, film, etc. The 105 and 50 will likely be mounted on the bodies, but I'd like to have the flexibility to have any lens mount combination with the availability to fit.

It looks like the Domke F7 is set up to handle two gripped bodies nicely, but it seems centered around the use of two large zooms, with not much flexibility for using smaller primes.
    However, the F1x seems smaller, and I'm also concerned that it may have a difficult time accommodating a 70-200 on a body if I choose to get one in the future.

I might add that I plan to be using this bag to carry to locations for doing portraits, or possibly even a wedding where i'm working out of the bag, so speed, flexibility and maneuverability are important.

I am also open to other bag suggestions, provided they aren't too bulky.
    I really wish my thinktank retrospective 30 was just a bit bigger to accommodate a second gripped body!!!
    Last edited by EASmithV; 04-14-2014 at 01:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This crude diagram attempts to illustrate what i'm trying to accomplish.

Attachment 86225
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    which MD for the F6, there are several, y'know?

replace the F6s with F2s and i carry even more in an F2; portrait and weddings, too. tight but not overflowing; compact enough to carry while working instead of tucking it under the table and running back and forth all day

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    MB40

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're carrying all that gear don't forget to get a truss for your Hermia, I can't imagine any portrait or wedding when all that stuff would be necessary.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    If you're carrying all that gear don't forget to get a truss for your Hermia, I can't imagine any portrait or wedding when all that stuff would be necessary.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk
    I generally put the gear in the bag, bring it to my location for outdoor portraiture, put it down, and shoot, pick it up and move it to a new location, etc.

Still, nobody has any experience with using domke bags with two gripped or full size AF bodies???
    www.EASmithV.com

RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a Domke F-2 for film cameras: Nikon F3 with MD4, Nikon FE with MD11 and lenses: 35, 50, 90, 200... all with metal hoods. I often throw in a filter wallet and flash too... like a Vivitar 285. The bodies are transported without lens attached. film gets carried in the side pockets.

Like you plan, I use the bag to transport and then serve as a "home base" while shooting. But the older I get the more I think Ben has a good point about a hernia truss.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I use a Domke F-2 for film cameras: Nikon F3 with MD4, Nikon FE with MD11 and lenses: 35, 50, 90, 200... all with metal hoods. I often throw in a filter wallet and flash too... like a Vivitar 285. The bodies are transported without lens attached. film gets carried in the side pockets.

Like you plan, I use the bag to transport and then serve as a "home base" while shooting. But the older I get the more I think Ben has a good point about a hernia truss.
    It's important that you don't exhaust yourself lugging everything except the kitchen sink so you are in a fit physical state to use it when you get to the venue, ie. I know my personal limit these days is about 12lb.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm still good for a bit more than 12 lb, but that capacity is diminishing as we speak. Getting older isn't easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm still good for a bit more than 12 lb, but that capacity is diminishing as we speak. Getting older isn't easy.
    To quote Bette Davis Brian "old age isn't for sissies"
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin