Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,298   Posts: 1,535,738   Online: 833

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a post-war Wirgin Edinex. I felt the design was reasonably clever and reliable, with exception of the garden gate sliding latch on the back. That is a major light leak waiting to happen if you're not carrying the camera in it's ever-ready case.

Shooter
    35mm
    And, of course, I will not disclose that my first roll for this thread was done with the lens collapsed. I had a roll of perfectly creative blobs. Yes, Mr Flibble, there are things to get used to when you go retro. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wirgin learned from that I think. The Post-war Edinex, at least, locks the release button when you haven't extended the lens fully.

Personally I found the Staeble 50mm f/2.8 Kataplan lens on mine to be somewhat lacking though.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    Gee willikers you seem to take the notion that your pronouncements (led and first graf) are handed down by Moses and engraved on stone. I think you need to think about that. I wouldn't trade my (formerly owned) post War Leica M2R for any pre-WW2 model. Ditto with my post-war Roilleiflex and my Nikon F. I have a new (to me} pre-war and war Kodak 35 and it is a beast. I love it like a pound-rescued puppy but it ain't the ultimate test of the camera maker's art. I own a pre-war Exakta and it lends itself to not taking the photo rather than taking it. Pre-war camera makers had an attitude about cameras that did not necessarily lend themselves to proficient photography. Those photogs who were good at it were that way despite some strange ways cameras were built. As Professor Von Dexter used to say "ve needs to chill outs a bit."
    liked that post, best in ages.

but back on topic for years I used a pair of Kievs or Contax II for street.

The limits of the glass catalogue were not significant and I could rebuild them at need. Then a friend sold me the residue of his Canon LTM collection including a Canon VI and Canon 35mm f/2. The combination was as fast handling as Leica M2 and Summicron, faster really.

So I don't really use the Contax or Kievs any more.

When I'm hill walking I take a Fed I from '36, fison hood and Leica filters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin