Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,961   Posts: 1,558,293   Online: 973

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Not pleased with the results, how to establish where is the problem?

In a nutshell its pretty much what the title says. I am having poor results from my first two rolls of processed TMAX 400 in HC-110. When I say poor I mean too soft, grainy & without detail. I scan them with an Epson V600 which I agree that is not the best option when it comes to 35mm but I have seen very respectable results on flickr from the specific scanner so perhaps its something else. The way I see it its probably one of the below:

1. I do not scan them correctly
    2. I do not process them right so I don't have a good negative
    3. The lens used (Auto-Chinon 50mm f1.9) is just soft

When looking at the negatives using a X10 loupe the seem to be good enough so I am really baffled why they come out so badly when scanned.

Any suggestions, comments, thoughts?

Thanks!

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scanner is most likely the problem have you activated the scanner's dust and scratch removal if so turn it off it will only soften the image and you can remove scratches and dust in post (photoshop or gimp). Another problem is the film holder the orginal Epson holders are a bit of a joke and are not always up to the task of holding the film flat.

The best way for you to proceed would be to get darkroom prints from your negs, an alternative would be to rescan the film with all the automatic sharpening dust removal etc... tools turned off. HC 110 and Tmax 400 should produce sharp prints.

Good luck

Shooter
    35mm RF
    ^^^^^^^
    The scanners dust removal will magnify grain and monkey with sharpness on silver film, it is ok with XP2.

advanced mode in scanner driver...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Scanner is most likely the problem have you activated the scanner's dust and scratch removal if so turn it off it will only soften the image and you can remove scratches and dust in post (photoshop or gimp). Another problem is the film holder the orginal Epson holders are a bit of a joke and are not always up to the task of holding the film flat.

The best way for you to proceed would be to get darkroom prints from your negs, an alternative would be to rescan the film with all the automatic sharpening dust removal etc... tools turned off. HC 110 and Tmax 400 should produce sharp prints.

Good luck
    Thanks for the reply. I already knew that "dust removal" and "ICE" mess up the shot that is why I have them off.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Filmholder and lack of flatness. As I've said in my previous post the Epson Filmholder is really not the best choice for good results especially from 35mm negs. They work better with MF and LF film. For 35mm a dedicated filmscanner or drumscanner is a much better choice. There are also some very good retrofit filmholders for the Epson Photo line. A cheaper solution though more work intensive could be to buy some anti-newton glass and put it on top of the negs, no filmholder. This is a discussion that is better suited for the Hybrid forum though.

Your scanner settings could also be off try to ad a bit of sharpness in the settings menu a raw unsharpened scan doesn't always look sharp.
    Creating a good scan and mastering the art of scanning is a lot of work and takes just as much time as a darkroom mastery.

The best way to assess the quality of your negs is to print them optically (using an enlarger) onto photopaper.

Again Good luck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear hoakin1981,

1 & 2 are more likely than 3 to be your problem. However, I think #2 and/or improper exposure are most likely. If the combination of TMY and HC-110 is new to you, or even if you are just human, operator error is the most probably cause. Little things like setting the films speed and/or exposure compensation dials can cause huge problems. Even an old battery can be the culprit.

For your next roll, bracket at least one full stop above and below 400 and follow the Kodak processing directions meticulously.

Good luck!

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing I suggest is to post your scans. This will help APUGers help you.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    One thing I suggest is to post your scans. This will help APUGers help you.
    True, so here they are one just a tad downsized and the same at 100%, no scanner software intervention, everything was OFF. Only increased brightness a little.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0005.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	360.8 KB 
ID:	86293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan0005-2.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	119.9 KB 
ID:	86294

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You need more contrast. You can use photoshop or Gimp to fix it.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is what you said, and therein lies the answer: When looking at the negatives using a X10 loupe the negs seem to be good enough.

So logically, if the negs look good under a loupe, the the problem is in the scanning.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin