Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,674   Posts: 1,481,878   Online: 1113

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Programming guys! Can you update Canon EOS ES-E1 Software for Modern Mac/PC?

Moderators ... THIS IS A FILM CAMERA QUESTION

I and many others own the Canon 1V film camera, it came with a feature to download shooting data into a spreadsheet, and even to link scanned images to the spreadsheet data to connect the image with the shooting data, that includes aperture, film speed, type, shot number, shutter speed, camera lens details, focal length etc.

Very modern stuff, but still film based.

So, with the advent of modern technology, I know there are old emulators for various windows versions... but I now exclusively use a Mac, and don't want to try and add a whole operating system into my hard drive that has the potential for viruses etc, (hence why I use a Mac) so, being that these days the technology and ability to program is essentially automated and not quite as complicated as it once was, is there a way to design a simple mini-program that would allow access to the shooting data on the camera and download it to a spreadsheet in Mac Numbers, or if need be Excel? just port it into columns enough so that the data can be saved and also printed on a single page for posterity (or to add to the film files) etc for easy reference?

The old program I don't believe it let you actually save the info to a spreadsheet, only work within the program itself...

Anyway, I have the camera, and I have the link cable... and I have the OLD software... but it certainly doesn't work on my mac, and the old laptop I used to use to download the data is lost (it was my mom's and I think she gave it away) so all the data I had downloaded is of course gone (I did print out about 80 rolls worth of shooting data before giving it back to her so at least it's saved somewhere) but anyway, the point is... is this possible, and would it be relatively simple? the link cable connects to the computer by... USB!! thank goodness!!!

It connects to the camera via a proprietary connector and cable with some kind of small circuitry mid-cable that does.... something... to convert it to USB.

Anyway, anyone?
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The short answer is yes, it can be done. The long answer is, while it can be done it's probably not worth it, as this would be a far from trivial exercise. First you'd have to write a driver that would connect the camera to the computer. Then you'd have to connect to the data source in the camera, parse it, and output the data into a human-readable format. Would you be willing to pay someone north of $200/hr to develop this kind of code? Let's put a conservative estimate on the time to complete at 160 hours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In other words, get a pen (the kind with ink, or perhaps a pencil...) and a notebook (the paper kind). Cameras that print spreadsheets...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The software update for Windows XP compatibility is still available on Canon's website: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/ELS/PC/ese1_pc02W-e.html

I'd venture a guess that there are a few used Windows XP computers around that could be had for very little money.

And the Windows emulators for Mac aren't really separate operating systems.

And by the way, Macs are the new growth industry for viruses.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hiren's Boot Disc has something called MiniWindowsXP which is a CD-bootable XP environment for troubleshooting, it is available as a USB-bootable OS as well.

Might be something to look into.

Old laptops are a dime a dozen and Windows 95/98 and XP are practically free these days

Tell you what, pay me shipping, I'll dig out one of my old IBM Thinkpads, I have a couple of them from my PC repair days I believe one of them has Windows 2000 on it. let me go fire it up if this program you need can run in 2000 it's yours. It might even have Excel on it, if it doesn't I'll put it on there.

I'm not doing anything with it and it needs to go to a good home where it will be used, the battery even lasts an hour or something.
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit / B+M 135mm Zeiss Tessar + Compur Deckel
    RB67 Pro S / 90 3.8 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    FED-2 / 50 2.8 Industar 26m / 85 f2 Jupiter-9
    Canon 300v / 5D d*****l / L lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if nobody else will say it, I will...bito**ent?
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The software update for Windows XP compatibility is still available on Canon's website: http://web.canon.jp/imaging/ELS/PC/ese1_pc02W-e.html

I'd venture a guess that there are a few used Windows XP computers around that could be had for very little money.

And the Windows emulators for Mac aren't really separate operating systems.

And by the way, Macs are the new growth industry for viruses.
    Thanks, as I get rid of GAS I was trying to avoid owning an old clunker machine JUST for this one purpose...

Also, back in 2010 when I actually was using the software on the old laptop (XP was old then) all the info said that the windows emulators wouldn't work with the software/cable for some reason, I even downloaded the xp update or whatever and got canon to burn me a copy directly from their master copy (since they didn't actually have anymore disks but a single disk and single ES-E1 cable, and it was only there to use for identifying issues for customers at the New Jersey CPS center) so, unless things have changed, there's something that the software needs that the emulators don't provide... I don't know what that could be, but I did try it on my Mac Leopard OS with an emulator and it didn't function and got error messages.

I could try it again I suppose, but I doubt it would function any differently... I think it's because the program needs to save and alter data on the computer drive in order to download the camera data? maybe? I dunno... I'm not really the computer guy I once was.

I only vaguely followed Flying Camera's description... however, I was hoping he would program really fast and do the whole thing in 1 hour, that I would pay for
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    if nobody else will say it, I will...bito**ent?
    that's a pretty fast way to pick up viruses...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    In other words, get a pen (the kind with ink, or perhaps a pencil...) and a notebook (the paper kind). Cameras that print spreadsheets...
    Can't go back in time... I've got at least 20 rolls of new data stored in the camera already... lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The cheapest solution would be to install Virtual Box, and some old Windows on it, and then install old software on that Windows.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin