Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,341   Posts: 1,682,205   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Canon ae-1 with odd shutter problem.

Hi!
    I got myself a canon ae-1. Mostly for the lens that was on it and because it was only $10. However its cosmetically in super shape and i really would like to shoot with it. Unfortunatly there is a small problem. The shutter is misbehaving a bit. I know the ae-1 is famous for its squeeky shutter and magnet problem, this however is something else. When its set shooting with slow speeds and/or high iso the shutter opens, but the mirror and shutter stays open until the battery test button is pressed.

If the iso is on 100 the problem starts on about the speed of 1/30 and with iso 25 on about 1/8 and on iso 3200 it doesnt work on about iso 125-250, but below that. The times and the working window changes a bit with the mood of the ae-1, but it always depends on the iso-setting. Aperture doesnt affect it as far as can conclude.

Well, it doesnt sqeek, so its not that. Neither is it the magnet, i took a look and it does do its job of releasing and does nothing on the rear curtain even on the working speeds.

Any help or ideas on how to fix it would be great. If someone would like a very nice looking one sitting on the shelf id be happe to swap it for a working ugly lookin one

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well it doesn't fit your circumstances exactly, but always good to check and make sure that sticky gooey mirror bumper foam isn't holding the mirror up in place...

Duncan

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess that hardly can be overlooked...

Furthermore the return of the mirror is not coupled to the shutter, thus it would not affect shutter closure. It would not even affect the next release. At least I assume so. Never tested on that...

Back to the topic of this thread:
    If it was a meter problem the exposure should be off at all times. The shutter is completely electronically, even digitally, controlled. So I assume it to be an exposure calculator issue, thus something in the depth of the electronics.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-22-2014 at 12:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Naa, its not the goo. When its stuck, i can tip the mirror with my finger, but the shutter stays open and the mirror flips back. Just like in bulb mode.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I guess that hardly can be overlooked...
    Back to the topic of this thread:
    If it was a meter problem the exposure should be off at all times. The shutter is completely electronically, even digitally, controlled. So I assume it to be an exposure calculator issue, thus something in the depth of the electronics.
    EDIT:
    There is no program mode on this version, so does it really calculate anything. I wonder though, is there a second magnet that controls the rear curtain that is not in plain sight even with the cover off?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, there is no simple capacitator circuit that controls exposure depending on the settings and the light meter result, but everything is digitized.
    The Canon AE-1 is the first camera to do this. So it is easy to blame anything on those electronics...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Have you tried a new battery of known voltage? These cameras can often act up if they don't have the full 6 volts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes, even tested the new cell

Skickat från min telefon, ursäkta t9 och typos

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Yes, there is no simple capacitator circuit that controls exposure depending on the settings and the light meter result, but everything is digitized.
    The Canon AE-1 is the first camera to do this. So it is easy to blame anything on those electronics...
    The AE-1 has a series of resistors that are selected by the shutter speed dial. They're directly under the dial.
    I don't recall for sure if the AE-1 had digital circuits, It does have ICs but aren't digital, basically miniature analog devices.

There are three magnets in the camera, two are under the bottom cover, the third I believe but don't clearly remember if it's on the side of the mirror box or not..

The AE-1 is very sensitive to voltage. When you read V with a voltmeter you're only reading surface voltage. It puts no load on the battery. I've seen cameras work for two or three exposures then not trip. Set aside for a few minutes the camera will work again, for another shot or two.
    The mirror has nothing to do with closing the shutter.
    The operation goes like this:
    Shutter button closes a switch and releases the mirror. The mirror actually releases the shutter curtains. When the curtains close, the mirror returns to the start position
    Expletive Deleted!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    It does have ICs but aren't digital, basically miniature analog devices.
    The circuit has A/D transformers surrounding a central CPU.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin