Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,527   Online: 1058

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

Shooter
    35mm
    My A1 had the squeal fwiw.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by camtec View Post
    The AT-1 is mechanical only in the sense that the user sets the shutter speed. It is an electronically controlled camera with a shutter similar to the AE-1 and the A-1.
    I don't think anyone described it as mechanical, I certainly didn't. What makes the AT-1 unusual is it's a manual camera from the non-mechanical era. That's a good or bad thing depending on your expectations. What started life as a cheap SLR variation for developing camera markets that couldn't afford automated versions like the A-1, turned out to be a hybrid that still makes a lot of sense almost four decades on, if you like full control, light weight and modern battery power. Not too many cameras fit that bill.

What I like about it is the viewfinder match needle provides an 'index' of under/over exposure by comparing it to the central 'correct' position. In other words you can assess the scene and tweak the aperture ring for highlights or shadows by moving the needle to the edge of the match circle (a half or whole stop, etc) without removing your eye from the eyepiece, or being assailed by LEDs, shutter speeds, apertures, arrows or whatever. I believe that's the speediest way of metering, while still retaining full compensation of each shot as it occurs. Quicker than any smart override I've used anyway.
    Last edited by blockend; 06-22-2014 at 03:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If there was a scale fixed to the circle-watch of the AT-1, one could easily "place" luminosities like on the Zero.adjust dial of the Profisx meter.
    So there only are for sure 1/2 and 1 stop deviation. 1 1/2 and 2 stops would also be possible by extrapolation in case of linearaity.

The meter of the AT-1 is 2 stops less sensitive than that of the AE-1. It also uses a photo-resistor instead of a photo-diode/trabsistor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    The other AE series weren't as convenient to use in manual. That's an opinion BTW.
    The AL-1 also has an easy manual exposure mode.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    There does seem to be a lot of misinformation about Canon here.

First off.... Leica mount adapter made by canon...

Attachment 87885

Aperture priority is stupid on older models, they only usually go to 1/1000 so you only have 5 stops before you have to worry about camera shake issues...

Attachment 87886

Whereas shutter priority on older film models let's you choose the best shutter action for the situation (sports, or if you want semi-blur, vs a still photo where you don't need as much but the subject is closer etc etc etc). While still having a 7 stop (or more) range to play with.

Attachment 87887

Finally, non-full-manual mode is almost always futile anyway with older models and meters aren't that great and you're working slow so why do you need the camera to do your job anyway? It's not that hard to adjust exposure.

Also... The camera is most certainly NOT mostly plastic... Very much metal...

Attachment 87888
    Attachment 87889

Just the back is plastic.

Attachment 87891

but even the interior is metal with black paint.

Attachment 87890

Mine was bought new just around 1981 or so, and later given to me at 12 or so, and I've shot with it for 20 years, and I've never EVER had to give it a CLA and now that it's about 30 years old, has the mirror started to stick when taking vertical shots (this only affects the return of the mirror and not the image itself.

That's pretty good quality...

My only complaint is the more obscure battery it takes,

Attachment 87892

but then the Mamiya 7 takes the same battery so it works out ok for me since I have both.

Nikon DOES have an advantage as the lens mount hasn't changed much, but the change canon made to the electronic mount certainly gave them an advantage for a very long time in terms of auto focus capabilities.

You can use many MORE adapters on canon cameras than any other camera including Nikon because canon lenses rear element is much closer to the film plane, so the added adapter distances of other mounts and lenses won't interfere with the mirror operation, something that Nikon has issues with in adapting for other lens brands.

Both are GREAT camera companies, and it will all come down to feel, and where you want to go, but I wanted to clear Canon's name a bit, they make an excellent product.
    A Nikon FE will go to 1/4000, it just does not show it on the scale. This was verified to me by Pete Smith RIP, the Nikonsmith using some pretty damn sophisticated testing equipment. The FE is a dandy. I have 2, one for color and one for B/W. See Ken Rockwell's review of the FE. One time I totally agree with him. Last one I got for $40 and it works perfect. Mate it with the Nikkor 50/1.8 AIS (not the E) and you have the sharpest and most bombproof rig out there.
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    The real difference between Nikon and Canon in the current market, is the cost of manual lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    Hey guys,

I was wondering which one was better.. The Canon AE1 or Nikon FE. I know both are great cameras. But does one have slightly better advantage?

Todd
    Todd,

You never say what it is you plan to do with either camera. But for general shooting, I'd say the Nikon FE is better than an AE-1.

Now, my 2 cents, a better Canon is the AE-1 Program. Even though it is considered a shutter priority camera, the AE-1P displays aperture in the viewfinders as you adjust the shutter speed dial and blinks if you get below 1/60th to let you know when you are getting into slow shutter speed conditions. It has always been an easy, reliable, and predictable camera to use, (33 years now). I personally like being able to focus with my left hand, adjust aperture and shutter speed simultaneously with my right forefinger on the shutter speed dial. I basically ignore the aperture ring and to me, that makes the AE-1P a fast camera to shoot when you learn how to use it that way.

Don't get me wrong, I shoot Nikon film and digital FX as well. I appreciate both brands.
    --
    David

Shooter
    35mm
    A friend of mine was given his Father's AV-1 (the Aperture preferred version of AE-1) and it's a gem. He's a total novice, but it all works out for him when I showed him DoF theory and how shutter speeds affect motion.
    S°ren Hammer
    - Konica T3N
    - Konica FS-1
    - Nikon F4s
    - Nikon F5
    - Nikon F801

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would opt for the FE. It has a more smooth film advance, match needle metering not obtrusive/bloating the viewfinder (although under certain conditions you cannot see it), less noisy shutter, and long exposures for as long as your battery lasts.
    The only advantage of the Canon, I have the A-1, would be the ease to use M42 lenses with no corrective optics.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin