Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,097   Online: 997

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Do you get auto-aperture and/or full-aperture metering with any of the adapters? I've got a little lens problem and it'd be great to let my AE-1 enable it.

-NT
    Nope.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I have never been a Nikon fan, but I think the match needle metering of the FE is the nicest of any manual camera. Easy to use and looks good. I was never fond of the "window" aperture display though. It is difficult to see at times.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Do you get auto-aperture and/or full-aperture metering with any of the [FD-Mount] adapters? I've got a little lens problem and it'd be great to let my AE-1 enable it.
    There are M42-Adapters (or could be modified) that enable the auto-aperture to function. But then there would be no auto-exposure function.
    But with all mountable lenses you could use stepped-down auto-exposure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    I like the FE better because it's aperture preferred. I'm not a fan of shutter priority. Of course you can shoot manual on both cameras so pick whichever you prefer.
    I find shooting a Shutter Priority automatic camera in manual a chore; not so with an Aperture Priority automatic. The twin needles in the viewfinder scale make exposure comp easy when desired.

My first 35mm SLR was a Canon FTb; I added an AE-1 eleven years later, switched to EOS in the mid-90s, and later wound up with OM, K-mount and Nikkormat outfits when my case of GAS kicked in. I recently re-assembled a Canon FD set, and my preferred camera for it is an AT-1 (mine doesn't squeak). If Canon had designed the FTb to use a silver oxide battery, it would have been my choice instead.

My Nikkormats (an FT2 with Jumpy Needle Syndrome and a pair of ELs, one of which had a Nikomat nameplate) have been replaced by FM/FE/FA bodies (there's an FM2 and an FE2 in the mix), and I'm finding I prefer the FE or FE2 more than the FMs or FA in daylight shooting because of the viewfinder scale. The FM2, with its LED (+) and (-) viewfinder exposure indicators and flash ready signal gets the nod in dimly lit situations. Oh, yeah - since I have a few non-AI Nikkor and third-party lenses, I picked up an EL (with nicer cosmetics than either of the two I sold off last year), also because of the twin-needle viewfinder shutter speed display.

Honorable mention K-mount cameras with twin-needle viewfinder shutter speed scales: Aperture Priority auto Pentax K2 and Ricoh XR-2/XR-2s/Sears KS Auto, and metered-manual only with flash ready viewfinder signal and Copal Square mechanical shutter Ricoh XR-1/XR-1s (aka Sears KS1000).

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have any AE-1 or AE-1 Program cameras but I do have an A-1. I also have three FEs. The FE is more solidly made but when it comes to cameras it isn't the thickness of the body that keeps a camera going so much as it is is the strength of the parts inside. The original AE-1 does not have interchangeable focusing screens. Using one with a slower lens is not very convenient. With the FE you can substitute a plain matte or grid screen. The FE's higher flash synch speed has been mentioned. In the last few days I have used a Konica FT-1 and a Minolta X-700 so I agree that if you want to see how the two cameras work, get both of them. From what I have seen, the AE-1 was designed for an amateur while the FE was designed for a more advanced amateur.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Which is better Canon AE1 or Nikon FE?

There does seem to be a lot of misinformation about Canon here.

First off.... Leica mount adapter made by canon...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399935211.761070.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	87885

Aperture priority is stupid on older models, they only usually go to 1/1000 so you only have 5 stops before you have to worry about camera shake issues...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399935308.354398.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	254.3 KB 
ID:	87886

Whereas shutter priority on older film models let's you choose the best shutter action for the situation (sports, or if you want semi-blur, vs a still photo where you don't need as much but the subject is closer etc etc etc). While still having a 7 stop (or more) range to play with.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399935593.946692.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	87887

Finally, non-full-manual mode is almost always futile anyway with older models and meters aren't that great and you're working slow so why do you need the camera to do your job anyway? It's not that hard to adjust exposure.

Also... The camera is most certainly NOT mostly plastic... Very much metal...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399935741.006019.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	87888

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399935746.758162.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	87889

Just the back is plastic.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399935810.378647.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	205.1 KB 
ID:	87891

but even the interior is metal with black paint.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399935798.995756.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	87890

Mine was bought new just around 1981 or so, and later given to me at 12 or so, and I've shot with it for 20 years, and I've never EVER had to give it a CLA and now that it's about 30 years old, has the mirror started to stick when taking vertical shots (this only affects the return of the mirror and not the image itself.

That's pretty good quality...

My only complaint is the more obscure battery it takes,

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399936298.669716.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	87892

but then the Mamiya 7 takes the same battery so it works out ok for me since I have both.

Nikon DOES have an advantage as the lens mount hasn't changed much, but the change canon made to the electronic mount certainly gave them an advantage for a very long time in terms of auto focus capabilities.

You can use many MORE adapters on canon cameras than any other camera including Nikon because canon lenses rear element is much closer to the film plane, so the added adapter distances of other mounts and lenses won't interfere with the mirror operation, something that Nikon has issues with in adapting for other lens brands.

Both are GREAT camera companies, and it will all come down to feel, and where you want to go, but I wanted to clear Canon's name a bit, they make an excellent product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399935204.865123.jpg  
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Which is better Canon AE1 or Nikon FE?

Oh yea, plus canon lenses have less CA and less light falloff at the edges... Especially during this timeframe.

And they actually turn the RIGHT way and mount the RIGHT way...

They also mount more easily, even Nikon shooters have told me that part.

Nikon has better flashes.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Also... The camera is most certainly NOT mostly plastic... Very much metal...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399935741.006019.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	87888
    As I said above, the complete to cap and that "vest" around the lens mount, bearing the Canon name, are plastic. Though galvanized.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    As I said above, the complete to cap and that "vest" around the lens mount, bearing the Canon name, are plastic. Though galvanized.
    The body is metal, so the outer jacket is plastic but it's still a very sturdy metal body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ae1 is like the Big Mac of burgers. Millions sold.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin